collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

It has been reliably reported that the bus with the performers that accompanied him pulled out of town, leaving him behind on the streets of Houston, still drunk - Doctor Clayton is ditched by his band after showing up under the influence at a dance gig for 3,000 people in Houston, Houston Informer, August 29, 1942

Author Topic: Biographical Queries  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Biographical Queries
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
Hi all,
It's not really biographical information I'm looking for, but session information.  For anyone with D,G & R and the time to look it up, is there an indication of who the two guitarists were on the Sammy Hill cut, "Needin' My Woman Blues"?  Thanks for your help.
All best,
Johnm

Offline eric

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
John,

It's a slow night here in Placitas, so you're in luck: 
Sammy Hill, v; acc own g;  Keno Pipes, 2nd g/sp-1
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
Thanks so much for that information, Eric!  Keno Pipes--wow that's a monicker!  He's a new one on me.
All best,
Johnm

Offline eric

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »
That's a cool Texas blues piece. Sammy has a driving style throughout; Keno is a bit tentative at first but eventually gets into the spirit of the tune.  I posted it in the YouTube thread.
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knew where Mooch Richardson, who was accompanied by Lonnie Johnson on "Helena Blues", came from.  Thanks for any information on Mooch.
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
Lonnie Sherman, in the notes to Document CD 5169 - Country Blues Collector's Items, has Mooch as "a native of the Arkansas/Memphis area".  He doesn't appear in the index to Eagle & LeBlanc, which means either 1) with a real first name unknown, they couldn't find any hard information on him, or 2) we've found another error in the index.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knew from whence Kid Prince Moore hailed.  I think he was from the Carolinas, but I don't know where exactly.  I'd appreciate any information.
All best,
Johnm

Offline eric

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
 DG&R shows his earlier ARC recordings were made in NYC, but his 1938 Decca recordings were made in Charlotte, NC.  But that's all I know.
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the help, Eric.  I think I'll consider him a Tarheel until I hear conclusively otherwise.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 08:14:15 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had any information on where Reese Crenshaw and/or Boy Green came from?  I'd appreciate any information on them.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 02:33:05 PM »
Hi John

Not much, but according to Dixon, Gordrich & Rye:

Reese Cranshaw, v; acc. prob. own g; Cool Breeze, v-1, Saturday, 15 December 1934. State Prison Farm, Milledgville, Ga.

259-A-1  Trouble -1
LoC: Flyright-Matchbox FLYLP259 (LP); Travelin' Man TMCD08 (CD)

259-A-2  John Henry
LoC: Flyright-Matchbox FLYLP259 (LP)

And according to the Blues Discography 1943- 1970, by Les Fancourt & Bob McGrath, Boy Green recorded two sides in New York, in 1944.

1103-S, A and B blues, Regis 120

1104-S, Play My Juke Box, Regis 120

Maybe someone with the access to the liner notes of the recordings can add more.

Cheers

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »
Only a little more info in Red River Blues: Most of the 1,000 inmates at the State Prison Farm were white. Crenshaw performed "Trouble" in response to Lomax's question about why he was in jail. There is apparently an unidentified track at the LoC which may also be Crenshaw, a guitar instrumental with speed fluctuations that has not been issued. Maybe it is online at the culturalequity.org now?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had any information on where Reese Crenshaw and/or Boy Green came from?  I'd appreciate any information on them.
All best,
Johnm
With regard to Boy Green, when Bruce Bastin included him on his 1976 compilation Play My JukeBox East Coast Blues 1943-1953 (Flyright 4711) he wrote:

Nothing is known about the superb guitarist, Boy Green. His sides were made shortly after those by Seth Richard but he vanished just as surely into the anonymity of the vast New York conurbation. In an interview in 1970, Alec Seward, a fine Virginia guitarist who came to live in New York in 1924, mentioned an excellent East Side guitarist and singer, Willie Green; conceivably the same man.

A decade Bruce slightly expanded upon the above in his book Red River Blues (page 334):

Boy Green recorded for Regis, and his fine voice and excellent picking are well exposed on "A and B Blues," the flip of which, "Play My jukebox," possibly unconsciously hints at the recently ended Petrillo ban. Alec Seward mentioned an East Side guitarist, who has never been located, by the name of Willie Green, who might have been the same man. A Willie Green recorded two titles for the Enrica label about 1959 and a man of the same name recorded two unissued sides for Savoy in May 1962.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Thanks to Pan, uncle bud and Bunker Hill for the information on Reese Crenshaw and Boy Green.  It seems as though nothing definite is known about either player's origins.
All best,
Johnm

Offline funkapus

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
While at PT this past week, I heard someone cover "Mill Man Blues" by Billy Bird, the first I've heard of this tune.  I'd love to know more about him and his discography, but both Allmusic and Wikipedia have nothing about him.  Searching here has some references to this song but little else.  Anyone have any more?  Thanks much!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal