collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

Merci beaucoup! - Muddy Waters shows off his French at the Montreal Jazz Festival

Author Topic: BBC 4  (Read 612 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
BBC 4
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
UK Weenies should be aware of the blues items coming up on BBC4 from today. There is a 2 part Blues America, starting tonight, followed on Sunday by a programme on Big Bill. Also tonight is the oft repeated Blues at the BBC, a pretty poor selection IMO.

Also currently on the iPlayer is the entire Arena Blues Night from '85 or '86 (When I rushed out and rented a video recorder) plus the 2nd version of the Devil's Music. The Arena programme includes Harley Cockliss' film Chicago blues which is a must-see plus plenty of other goodies.

Offline JohnLeePimp

Re: BBC 4
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »
Well, I watched the Blues America programme and it was a cut above the usual stuff but they somehow managed to miss out anything about the blues in Memphis, Atlanta, Chicago and the East Coast in order to get asap to RJ (or, should I say, to white folks, because this allowed them to bring in John Hammond and the Lomaxes). At least the quota of rock players was minimal amongst the talking heads. Worth watching.

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:17:53 AM »
I was going to write similar Phil.

I think anyone woth a vague interest in country blues would have heard it all before. Went from WC Handy to RJ in a bat of an eyelid which was the real disapointing bit for me.

However I did enjoy some of the archive footage and photo's a lot of which I hadn't seen before.

I enjoyed the Big Bill documentary however again pretty much stuff I knew and the film clips were the clips we all  know and love of course. Still nice to see a country blues artist have a whole documentary.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »
There's part two next Friday, so maybe they will get to cover more then?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:55:43 AM »

I enjoyed both programmes. Unrealistic to expect the entire pre war blues to be covered in one hour but subject to that I thought Blues America was very decently done.

The Broonzy programme sort of confused me because throughout they used Broonzy's own words despite admitting that much was known to be factually untrue.

If Broonzy was born in 1903 then his war experiences are highly unlikely to be true and yet that followed on as if it was part of his story.

Despite having plenty of Roger House they also somehow skipped over Bill's major 30s career despite the fact that that essentially was what House' book was about.

Obviously there's plenty of 50s footage so I guess that justifies devoting more time to the last few years of Broonzy's life.

As a celebration of Broonzy it worked well - as a biography less well.

I'm looking forward to Part 2 this weekend and the Fahey and Rosetta Tharp programmes.

Tags: