collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

A phrase that should live in infamy appears all too often in the Gennett ledgers: "Rejected - too much backwoods" - Richard Nevins, entry on the Shepherd Brothers in R. Crumb's Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country

Author Topic: Help Produce The Songs of Blind Willie Johnson  (Read 2174 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Help Produce The Songs of Blind Willie Johnson
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
I'm not sure I get this. Many if not all of these people are millionaires. Why can't they fund their own damn record? Or their labels?

And say all their money is tied up in, um, South American business endeavours -- they need $125,000 to produce a record? Most kickstarter CD projects I've seen from independent musicians are rather more modest, to put it politely.

Gimme a break.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
If they are so sincere in their love for BWJ, they can record themselves and post their music for free on DeltaSlider like Ragtime Ralph/Blind Brand X does, or on some other download for free site, or as homemade vids on YT, for that matter. Spare me. Sounds like a make work project for the well-to-do--with a bunch of less fortunates picking up the tab in return for trinkets (that they paid for anyway).

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:20:52 PM by Stuart »

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
Unca Bud,
Millionaires or not, these artists seem strange choices. Now I like Ricky Jones---her pseudo-jazz, stoned delivery is quite charming really---but i can't hear her bringing anything much to "Run to the City of Refuge" for instance.
And the blooze-rockers? Well....

But if you haven't already, watch the video pitch by the producer. Maybe we can have a betting pool on who can get an accurate count of the exaggerations, half-truths and lies.

[I do want a cigar-box guitar made from wood from BWJ's house though.]
Wow!
bruce
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:38:31 PM by bnemerov »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
If you had to provide an illustration of the correct usage of the word 'crass' a link to that site would more than suffice. I am shaking my head in disbelief.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:20:10 PM »
Unca Bud,
Millionaires or not, these artists seem strange choices. Now I like Ricky Jones---her pseudo-jazz, stoned delivery is quite charming really---but i can't hear her bringing anything much to "Run to the City of Refuge" for instance.
And the blooze-rockers? Well....

Uh-huh, I like several of these artists, but doing their own thing, not asking for $125,000 to do pop/rock versions of Blind Willie Johnson. ("You know what Dark Was the Night really needs? Words." It's like a lost scene from Spinal Tap.)

Yeah, I know Lucinda W. has played a bunch of country blues tunes and Luther D. certainly has CB cred, but this project still smacks of music biz bullshit.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
This looks fantastic. Wooden picks made from blind Willie's shack!  Perhaps if we all contribute enough they will also dig him up and make slides from his bones.

If someone is willing to pay me a few grand, I'm also prepared to 'reveal' two extra verses to a Robert Johnson song of your choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline slideaway

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »
Perhaps if we all contribute enough they will also dig him up and make slides from his bones.

LMAO!!  :)

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:30:32 AM »
Norfolk Slim---
You started my day with a laugh---thank you!
best,
bruce

Offline harriet

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:53:19 AM »
I like the project for a couple of reasons. The first is that it encourages and develops by example seeking crowd funding as way of raising money for musical projects.  I think the artists participating are sincere artists and their versions will be great. And originally I thought they took boards from the existing burnt house, but since its been demolished I think that what they've done with it is a better alternative to it disappearing altogether. The kind of fancy designer packaging that they are doing in the outreach, if they offer it that way I think it gives it a better chance for reaching a wider audience, a little pop so to speak because its unusual. It also makes the product eligible for design awards which would get it in front of people that might not know of Johnson's music. Lastly, I believe that Johnson's music is treated with respect and the only person going to be doing his version is Johnson himself and that's been included.

comment 4 days later: What was I thinking?! :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:10:51 PM by harriet »

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »
Ive not watched the video, but presumably this is a commercial project rather than an altruistic one.  Is the $65,000 allocated to "recording mixing and mastering" is paying fees to artists?  It certainly doesnt cost that much to record a dozen tracks in a studio and master them!

Offline harriet

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:31:29 AM »
Ive not watched the video, but presumably this is a commercial project rather than an altruistic one.  Is the $65,000 allocated to "recording mixing and mastering" is paying fees to artists?  It certainly doesnt cost that much to record a dozen tracks in a studio and master them!

I for one, am certainly not opposed to musicians getting paid if that's any of the usage there, or if any of it is going to defray travel, hotel arrangements for them.

Or pay factored in for Tom Feldmann for his demos and String Tinkers for their cigar box construction.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:25:34 PM by harriet »

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:57:56 AM »
Ok... so where's the kickstarter to stop Derrek Trucks from recording my favourite song?
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline jrn

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »
THE ALBUM ONLY HAPPENS IF FANS FUND IT.

I like that part. If it doesn't happen then its all our fault. Gimme a break! Tom Waits and Sinead O'connor? But not Ry Cooder?  Was Miley Cyrus not available to twerk to Nobodys Fault but Mine?

The artist lineup is lame.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »
Almost an interesting thread in itself though- which artists would you actively like to be nivolved in a BWJ tribute?

I'd like to hear David Jacobs-Strain do it.  He's gone a bit poppy and commercial now, but his early stuff displayed wonderfully haunting and raspy BWJesque slide playing. 

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal