collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Here she comes! The Black Diamond Express to Hell with Sin the Engineer holding the throttle wide open; Pleasure is the headlight, and the devil is the conductor. You can feel the roaring of the express and the moanin' of the drunkards, liars, gamblers and other folk who have got aboard. They are hell-bound and they don't want to go. The train makes eleven stops but nobody can get off - Vocalion advertisement for Rev. A.W. Nix's 1927 recording Black Diamond Express to Hell

Author Topic: R.I.P. Charles H. Faurot (1935-2013) founder of Old Blue Records  (Read 478 times)

Offline Westside

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesdispatch/obituary.aspx?n=CHARLES-FAUROT&pid=166643600#fbLoggedOut

FAUROT, Charles H., of Midlothian, Va., born October 3, 1935, founder of Old Blue Records and beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle, teacher, coach and friend, died on Sunday, August 25, 2013 from complications of pancreatic cancer. He is survived by his beloved family: his wife, Barbara Sanborn Faurot; his children, William Silverthorne Faurot III, Matthew Monahan Faurot, Kirsten Marie Faurot and Stephanie Elizabeth Faurot-Rodriguez; his sons-in-law, John Packel and Miguel Rodriguez; his siblings, William Reay Faurot, Allen Reed Faurot and Suzanne Faurot Warner; and his grandchildren, nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, William Silverthorne Faurot and Jean Reay Faurot; his stepmother, Joyce Moore Faurot; and his son, William Silverthorne Faurot II. Charlie was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, and attended Philips Andover Academy and Yale University. He taught math and coached swimming and water polo at Suffield Academy and Montclair Academy. He was a systems consultant at Manufacturers Hanover Trust, Bankers Trust and Monchik-Weber. He retired as managing director of the American Stock Exchange in 1997 and founded Old Blue Records, an independent label dedicated to the best in old-time music from the Blue Ridge Mountains, Kentucky, Texas and other regions. His music was featured on National Public Radio, and several Old Blue tracks were included in the recent "Give Me The Banjo" documentary on PBS, narrated by Steve Martin and featuring several Old Blue artists. He was a member of Noroton Yacht Club, where he coached women's sailing and youth swimming, and was recognized with the Moon Award for extraordinary service. A memorial service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday at the Huguenot Chapel of Woody Funeral Home, 1020 Huguenot Rd., Midlothian. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Operation Walk Virginia, c/o Inova Mount Vernon Hospital Unit 4A, 2501 Parkers Lane, Alexandria, Va. 22306. The family wishes to thank the teams at VCU Massey Cancer Center and Hospice of Virginia. Online condolences to WoodyFuneralHome.com. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesdispatch/obituary.aspx?n=CHARLES-FAUROT&pid=166643600#fbLoggedOut

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: R.I.P. Charles H. Faurot (1935-2013) founder of Old Blue Records
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Sad news indeed. He recorded some of the best banjo playing on record. Those Clawhammer Banjo records on County keep revealing stuff every time I listen.

Sometime weenie Tom Mylet wrote an informative profile of Charlie Faurot for the Banjo Newsletter that captures the importance and scope of his work: https://banjonews.com/2013-07/charles_faurot_old_time_recorder.html

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »
If it wasn't for Charlie, I would not be half the banjoist I am.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:12:45 AM »
Thank you for the link Uncle bud.Mr.Faurot was responsible for many superb banjo recordings and without them I probably would never have become aware of many great artists.Artists I now consider to be among my very favourites in any genre.
Very sad to hear of his death.
lyndvs

Offline Tom Mylet

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
Charlie's recordings lit the path I'm still following. Not only banjo and fiddle but his Parlour Guitar CD should be of interest Weenie Campbell-ites. A great guy with the foresight to preserve some incredible music and the enthusiasm and generousity to share it.

Tom Mylet

Offline Westside

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
@uncle bud: Thanks much for the link!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »
A piece on Charlie appears in the current County Sales Newsletter that I received today:

http://www.countysales.com/newsletters/326Newsletter.pdf

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal