collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

You never get nothing by being an angel child. You better change your ways and get real wild, 'Cause wild women don't worry. Wild women don't have the blues - Ida Cox, Wild Women Don't Have the Blues

Author Topic: Increasing Tempo  (Read 998 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Increasing Tempo
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »
I can't recall ever hearing anyone slow down

Well, it's not "traditional" - or at least it wasn't when it was first recorded 89 years ago - but...   

The Wolverine Orchestra, Bix Beiderbecke's first recording band, almost always slowed down a bit throughout the song.  Listening, I think it's because their pianist, Richard Voynow, seemed to drag behind the rest of the band a bit.  It's interesting that on Fidgety Feet, one of the few tunes where the band kept up the tempo all the way to the end, the piano is either not present or inaudible.  In spite of the slight slowing down, the band had a pretty tremendous drive to it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
There might be a revealing discussion around "who didn't speed up?"

I haven't checked, but flipping through the musical rolodex in my head Memphis Minnie & husbands come to mind. Joliet Bound starts fast and finishes fast. Call The Fire Wagon starts medium tempo and ends the same. Pigmeat On The Line picks up a bit in the breaks but settles down again in the verse.

I may be wrong, but it's probably part of their appeal for me, they had such a great groove. The songs seem to end way too soon. Common denominator is Minnie.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:31:31 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
It's not decreasing tempo in the sense of dragging, but Little Hat Jones has some notable fast starts that then slow down abruptly as the verses start, both in his own pieces and when he accompanies Texas Alexander (changing tempo on Texas Alexander seems like a recipe for disaster but they survive...).

Offline slideaway

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
not unlike the physical act of procreation?

Offline mr mando

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »
There might be a revealing discussion around "who didn't speed up?"
I haven't checked, but flipping through the musical rolodex in my head Memphis Minnie & husbands come to mind.

Maybe I recall incorrectly, but in Soo Cow they speed up quite a bit.

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 04:42:57 AM »
A revival musician (alas, I can't remember who) once told me he could tell if a fiddler had spent much time playing for dances. He said it had to do with attack: a slight stress just ahead of the beat, which keeps the dancers moving. If this is so, a fiddler who plays like that, along with a rhythm person who doesn't keep a solid tempo, would result in acceleration throughout the piece.

I've only played for one dance in my life (I thought my right arm would fall off), and I'm not sure I can identify musicians with dance experience vs. the others, except in cases where they play with varying tempi. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Lyle

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal