collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

When your knee bones go to aching and your body getting cold, you know you just gettin' ready, honey for some cypress grove - Skip James, Cypress Grove

Author Topic: Sorrow Come Pass Me Around  (Read 1215 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Sorrow Come Pass Me Around
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
I haven't seen this mentioned yet. A new release from Dust-to-Digital. Sorrow Come Pass Me Around: A Survey of Rural Black Religious Music.

Description: A collection of spiritual and gospel songs performed in informal non-church settings between 1965-1973. Most are guitar-accompanied and performed by active or former blues artists. ?Most records of black religious music contain some form of gospel singing or congregational singing recorded at a church service. This album, though, tries to present a broader range of performance styles and contexts with the hope of showing the important role that religious music plays in the Southern black communities and in the daily lives of individuals.? ? David Evans, from the liner notes
Publication Date: April 2, 2013

SIDE A
1. Ephram Carter and His Fife & Drum Band ? ?Sorrow Come Pass Me Around?
2. Willard Artis ?Blind Pete? Burrell ? ?Do Remember Me?
3. Babe Stovall ? ?The Ship Is at the Landing?
4. Annie Lee and Oscar Crawford with Annie Mae Jones ? ?You Don?t Know What the Lord Has Done for Me?
5. Reverend Rubin Lacy ? ?Talk About a Child That Do Love Jesus?
6. Robert ?Nighthawk? Johnson ? ?Can?t No Grave Hold My Body Down?
7. Dorothy Lee, Norma Jean and Shirley Marie Johnson with Robert ?Nighthawk? Johnson ? ?You Got to Give an Account?
8. Katie Mae Young ? ?By the Grace of My Lord, I?ve Come a Long Way?
9. Eddie Lee ?Mustright? Jones ? ?My Sun Don?t Never Go Down?
SIDE B
1. Robert ?Nighthawk? Johnson ? ?Climbing High Mountains?
2. Chester Davis and Congregation / Compton Jones and Group / Furry Lewis ? ?Glory, Glory Hallelujah?
3. Willard Artis ?Blind Pete? Burrell ? ?A Little Talk with Jesus Makes it Right?
4. Pattie Rosemon with Frank and Odie Rosemon ? ?I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say?
5. Babe Stovall ? ?When the Circle Be Unbroken?
6. Napoleon Strickland ? ?Motherless Children?
7. Willard Artis ?Blind Pete? Burrell ? ?I Shall Not Be Moved?

This refers to a vinyl version. CD version apparently coming soon. It looks really good. Is this a reissue? Bunker Hill refers to an album on Advent in an older forum post dealing with Rube Lacy.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
Re: Sorrow Come Pass Me Around
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
I just got the reissued vinyl last week (you can consider the original LP to be made of pure unobtainium). I'm very pleased to have it - wonderful listening all around.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
This is a wonderful record. Originally issued on LP on Advent in 1975. I believe this has been issued on CD on the P-Vine label. It would be great if Dust-to-Digital included some bonus tracks (if there are any). I've also heard rumor they may issue a box set of David Evans' blues field recordings. 

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:08:51 AM »
A boxed set of David Evans' recordings would be fantastic.

As for bonus tracks on Sorrow Come Pass Me Around, I suspect there wouldn't be any. The vinyl releases seem to be the main releases these days for several of these labels, with CDs being added as a concession to those of us who struggle to get their turntables repaired or buy new ones.  :P I've actually bought vinyl with no means of playing it at the moment. Need a new turntable. The wonderful Tompkins Square set Work Hard, Play Hard, Pray Hard was clearly conceived as an LP set, with the shortened tracklist being the most obvious clue. Not complaining, just observing. But LPs unfortunately do limit the concept of bonus tracks, since adding them becomes a much bigger deal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:09:55 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Frank_Scott

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
As owner of Advent Records I can tell you that this appears to be a straight reissue of the album I put out in 1977. Of course Dave Evans recorded lots more by these artists but the rights all his field recordings are owned by Steve Lavere's company Mimosa. If Dust-To-Digital are able to deal with him and get some of those field recordings out it would be a great service to all blues lovers. It would probably take half a dozen box sets to really do justice to Dave's recordings.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal