collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

I saw Son House in the early 70s. He looked at one of the ladies in attendance and said, "I may be an old man, but I have young ideas" - Stuart

Author Topic: Tommy Johnson headstone desecrated  (Read 5053 times)

Offline crawlinkingsnake

Re: Tommy Johnson headstone desecrated
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
What a despicable act.

In an attempt to email Copiah County only messages to Secretary and Chief Investigator seemed to go through. Others show show "failed"

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:14 AM »
Words fail me, all I can do is pity anoyone who would do such a thing

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
Absolutely disgraceful. I can only hope that they catch the person or persons responsible for this and bring them to justice.

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
Pretty funny to imagine people getting riled up about the long dead Tommy Johnson's gravestone and actually going through the effort of going there and smashing it... what kind of mindset is that?
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline jrn

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
I would suspect it was juveniles local to the area.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
I'm ashamed to say that kind of stuff happens a lot around here. James Earl Chaney, one of the three civil rights activists murdered here in 1964, is buried just a few miles from my house. His grave has been vandalized many times over the years. There's a picture of him on the gravestone that people will shoot at. The family replaces the picture, then someone does it again. It saddens me in ways I can't even put into words. As long as there are weak minded people in this world, racism will always exist I'm afraid.

Jason

Please tell me your kidding.

Alex

Offline misterjones

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
The headstone of Mississippi Blues legend Tommy Johnson was destroyed last night in an act of racist vandalism near Crystal Springs Mississippi.

I read through the various posts, but I guess I missed it.  What's the evidence of racism?

Offline oddenda

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
If you lived in Mississippi, you'd understand that it is always racist acts.

pbl

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
If it walks like a duck... etc

Offline ozrkreb

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
I read through the various posts, but I guess I missed it.  What's the evidence of racism?

Excellent point. Odd how sometimes people demand hard evidence and sometimes they're willing to believe without any.

My hook's on bottom, but my cork's on top

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
Probably someone just testing out the new sledgehammer they got from Home Depot. At the end of the day we're all gonna draw our own conclusions, I know where my money is.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (what else) and suggest that there may have been a religious motive. Sold his soul to the devil and all? That he was given a proper Christian burial might have chuffed some fundamentalist.  Could easily be combined with racism or been done by a fervent Black church goer. Or just as easily been a random act of vandalism to a conspicuous stone. The story about James Chaney's stone is heartbreaking. I went to school with his younger brother Ben.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
I think misterjones makes a point that should be given thoughtful consideration.

One of the principals in the drive to get the headstone placed is a friend and former research associate at MTSU here in Tennessee.

Over the years of legal struggle to get right-of-way to the graveyard, he has told me of the enormous ill will built up with the landowners.

I can imagine them being just as hateful if the headstone was Jimmie Rodgers' (If it was they--or their friends).....the mindset of the conservative who thinks the sanctity of private property is granted by Biblical Covenant.

best,
bruce
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:03:06 PM by bnemerov »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
Quite possible I agree. Still, I'll go with Occam's Razor on this one. Like I said, everyone is free to draw their own conclusions. Maybe racism is not the whole story here, life being complicated and all, but it's probably part of it. Just my opinion folks.

Whatever the outcome it would be likely impossible to prove me wrong, or right for that matter. If these yahoos ever end up in court what's in their heads isn't going to come out of their mouths, or their lawyer's mouth either.

I just know what I know. And so do a lot of other people. Call it a backlash against decades of mealy-mouthed skirting around the issues. Count me among the majority of people who have had enough of this kind of crap.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:26:51 PM by Rivers »

Offline maddoggirl

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:35 AM »
I think my inclination is to chalk this one up to chance for now. The gravestone is probably fancier than most around it, so any roaming vandals would be perversely drawn to it. I don't think I know anyone who's ever heard of Tommy Johnson in non-Internet life (Robert Johnson, maybe), so I find it hard to believe a group of racist knuckle-draggers would also have cultivated a rather in-depth knowledge of pre-war blues. It's written on the grave, sure, but it's hard to see that that inscription alone would inspire such rage. More likely to be "Something nice, let's trash it!" - the standard thug mentality.
rambling about movies, from 1930 on up at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com/

Tags: