collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Now I'm gonna smoke my reefer, drink my good champagne and wine. Said I ain't gonna let these hard-headed women make me lose my mind - Kokomo Arnold, Rocky Road Blues

Author Topic: A first instance for Meet me in the Bottom, Bring me my Boots & Shoes  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
I don't know where the first instance thread is so, sorry. Who first recorded this song? I was racking my brains trying to remember. I know Tommy McClennan did it and Big Joe Williams and Shirley Griffith in the 60's. Was it A Jacksonian?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline CF

Re: A first instance for Meet me in the Bottom, Bring me my Boots & Shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »
Curley Weaver & Buddy Moss played it early on, I think.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Bumble Bee Slim? I don't have the recording to listen to but B&GR has Amos and Peetie listed as recording Meet Me in The Bottom, Feb 1936, and Hey Lawdy Mama a year earlier.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »
Thanks all.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
Hi all,
Buddy Moss' "Oh Lordy Mama" dates from 1934, and seems like it might be the model for the subsequent songs that became "Meet Me in the Bottom".  Buddy's song begins:

Meet me down by the river, mama, bring my shoes and clothes, oh lordy mama, great god almighty

All best,
Johnm

Offline CF

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:45:03 AM »
Curley Weaver recorded an unissued 'Oh Lordy Mama' in September 1933. It may not be the song in question
but he recorded a same-titled song in April 1935 with BW McTell which is the same as the Moss tune.

'Meet me down at the river, bring me my shoes & clothes, Ooo Lordy mama, great god almighty'

I think I've seen it titled 'Boots & Shoes' as well.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:55:45 AM »
Believe it or not there's a Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Lawdy_Mama_(blues_song). We've come along way since the days of Bob Groom's series "Story Of A Blues" in Blues World which traced the lineage/antecedents of this song group.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »
Curley Weaver recorded an unissued 'Oh Lordy Mama' in September 1933. It may not be the song in question
but he recorded a same-titled song in April 1935 with BW McTell which is the same as the Moss tune.

'Meet me down at the river, bring me my shoes & clothes, Ooo Lordy mama, great god almighty'

I think I've seen it titled 'Boots & Shoes' as well.

Correctomundo. Blind Boy Fuller recorded it as Boots and Shoes in February 1937 with Floyd 'Dipper Boy' Council on 2nd guitar.

Good catch on Weaver. We can't know for certain I guess, but it seems highly likely the 1933 Weaver version is the same song. Not too surprising given how the Atlanta crowd seems to have had a common stockpile of material.

I had asked the same question in the Buddy Moss thread back in May. I thought I had speculated there about whether Hey! Lawdy Mama - France Blues by the Down Home Boys was perhaps a distant song cousin.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »
Not too surprising given how the Atlanta crowd seems to have had a common stockpile of material.

Amos Easton (Bumble Bee Slim) was originally a Georgia boy.  So the three earliest versions of the song are from Georgia musicians.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
In terms of phrasing, the Down Home Boys song "Hey Lawdy Mama" seems altogether different to me, uncle bud (apart from using the phrase "lawdy mama").  The earlier song that appears to be closest to "Oh Lawdy Mama/Meet Me In The Bottom" in its phrasing is "Big Road Blues" and its variants.
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
Hi John - yes, I believe I was having a brain fart. For some reason, I was confusing the Down Home Boys song with the Alabama Sheiks' Lawdy Lawdy Blues. This is itself a version of The Cat's Got the Measles, the Dog's Got the Whooping Cough. It fits a bit better in terms of phrasing, though as I said earlier about the wrong song, possibly only a distant cousin if related at all. The Moss/Weaver tune is certainly more modern sounding.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:49:41 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
Not the earliest but just for the record Bill Gaither's Tee-Ninecy Mama (Little Sweet Mama) just came around on the juke and is the same song with the usual lyric variations. Blues & Gospel Records documents the session as October 1936, Chicago.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:27:15 PM by Rivers »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal