collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Wouldn't mind dyin', I'd go by myself. Wouldn't mind dyin' if dyin' was all - Blind Willie Johnson, Bye And Bye I'm Goin' To See The King

Author Topic: Man sitting by Preacher while everyone else stands- 1920s-(Patton?)  (Read 7958 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Man sitting by Preacher while everyone else stands- 1920s-(Patton?)
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
You are right of course Jason, we all have enjoyed and still enjoy speculating. It is an interesting photo for sure.  But there is a point at which it becomes tiresome, in my mind at least.  When the speculation morphs from Charlie Patton, to Pattons guitar appearing behind him, To Rev JM Gates as the preacher and then daughter Rosetta Patton... and then we have "Robert Johnson" photo in another thread....

...it really brings up some questions... and after 10 pages, a little meat would be nice with the stone soup, no?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
One thing that crossed my mind is that there may have been more than one copy of the photo produced from the negative and that additional copies may still be extant, possibly in the possession of descendants of people in the photo. It's also possible that if the photo is of a special event, people may have annotated the back of the photo or have made separate notes. I'm a big fan of local history and the people who do it. If you can zero in on the location, it's possible that someone in the area might be able to provide some leads. I don't know what the state of local historical societies and archives are in the region, but you might check to see if there's anything that's worth pursuing.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »
I don't know what the state of local historical societies and archives are in the region, but you might check to see if there's anything that's worth pursuing.

Not every community has an active historical society, but every town has a library.  Call the library, tell them about the picture, with as much detail as to subject and location as you can, and ask them who might be a good person to talk to about it, and ask for contact info, if possible.  If the person who was suggested can't help you, they'll give you one or more leads to other people you can follow up on.  You'll get to the right person eventually.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:48:14 PM by dj »

Offline jrn

« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »
You are right of course Jason, we all have enjoyed and still enjoy speculating. It is an interesting photo for sure.  But there is a point at which it becomes tiresome, in my mind at least.  When the speculation morphs from Charlie Patton, to Pattons guitar appearing behind him, To Rev JM Gates as the preacher and then daughter Rosetta Patton... and then we have "Robert Johnson" photo in another thread....

...it really brings up some questions... and after 10 pages, a little meat would be nice with the stone soup, no?

Haha! Yeah I totally agree Slack.

The part that bothers me though, is the thought that nobody seems to be interested in finding out if that horse in the back is indeed the famous Mr. Ed!

J/k....just trying to lighten the mood a little. Jason
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
I don't think so. I traced the ears from the famous Mr Ed publicity shot and the one in the photo, no way is it Mr Ed. I thought for a while it might have been Rowdy Yates' horse from Rawhide, no luck there either.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:46:59 PM by Rivers »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
this reminds me of learning to juggle - there comes a point where you either have to laugh or else ... drop the balls ...

Offline wreid75

« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
If the thread has become tiresome to a few of you why are you still posting instead of just ignoring it?  Just remember the question about the Robert Johnson from the other page was answered with the answer Randy was looking for.  He didn't think that there was a secret photo in Big Road Blues that we all just missed.  He was just wanting info, which he got.  Nothing more nothing less.  Thats how I read it. :D

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Global Moderator
  • Not dead yet!
Man sitting by Preacher while everyone else stands- 1920s-(Patton?)
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »
O'Muck has it by an ear!
Randy - if it's relevant and helps, you can rest assured that Slack has indeed beat his feet in the Mississippi mud.

Sent from Mr. Page's iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »
Yeah , he said he spent a week tour of Mississippi...

"Times is haaaaard, Eugene.."
Long Island Blues Man....
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline cih

• Howdy!
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
message edited
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:30:08 AM by cih »

Offline CF

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2013, 02:39:29 AM »
Yeah , he said he spent a week tour of Mississippi...

"Times is haaaaard, Eugene.."
Long Island Blues Man....

Right. This guy just keeps going.
This is trolling.

Because living in MS means you are more qualified to be a researcher, Randy.
Going over this thread & rereading the points you've made & your theorizing is a case study in amateurism. 
Putting a camera in the great Gayle Dean Wardlow's face does not a competent researcher make.   
If Weenie becomes a place where this sort of hack hangs out, I'm outta here.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:29 AM »
Mr Cheap
It is correct that Randy did make use of an old and dirty semantic trick when he tried to discredit the messenger rather than the message but you're no better yourself. I remember a while back when you did exactly the same. As far as I can remember nobody called you a troll then.

Yogi

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2013, 03:02:55 AM »

I think most of us are pleased to have seen the photograph and intrigued by all sorts of possibilities inherent in it.

I certainly want to know more but living near Oxford, England rather than Oxford, Mississippi I'm dependent on the efforts of others.

I'd rather that research was out there but without attitude by either the researcher or the readers.

Offline CF

« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2013, 03:08:54 AM »
My criticism of an aesthetic choice in performance on a board I've been frequenting for about 7 years is not the same as what's going on here & is not trolling yogi. If it is deemed the same by the board moderators, I will happily retire.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:08 AM »
Cheap
I don't want anyone to retire and I am not calling you a troll. Neither do I consider Randy a troll. I just want those who are interested in speculating around this photograph to be allowed to do so without others interfering and claming that the discussion, for various reasons, ought to end.
For the moment there's probably not a lot more to say about the photo and I hope Randy got the feedback he wanted from us but if anyone wishes to continue speculating that shouldn't be problem for any of us.
I've sent you a pm where I try to answer your question.

Peace, anyone?
 Yogi

Tags: Charlie Patton  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal