collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The piano may do for lovesick girls who lace themselves to skeletons, and lunch on chalk, pickles, and slate pencils. But give me the banjo... When you want genuine music - music that will come right home to you like a bad quarter, suffuse your system like strychnine whiskey . . . ramify your whole constitution like the measles, and break out on your hide like the pin-feather pimples on a picked goose - when you want all this, just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo! - Mark Twain, Early Tales and Sketches, Vol 2 (1864-65)

Author Topic: Old Hat finds another new Blind blake  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Old Hat finds another new Blind blake
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
Come on Mr M...There's so much going on in Night and Day Blues and the vocal phrasing is terrific. One of my fav Blind Blake tracks ever!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 03:14:36 AM »
FWIW, John Tefteller apparently now owns the record, and he's going to publish the tracks on the 2014 Blues Images calendar!!! 
He says, on the Real Blues Forum, that the record is pretty whupped, but they hope to be able to remaster it with Richard Nevins.
The songs have Blake scat singing, singing falsetto, rapping his guitar, and playing extensive solos, according to Tefteller.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »
A Google search for the "Real Blues Forum" does not throw up a direct link. One of the more interesting ones seems to be the "West Australian Reptile Forum" or some such thing. Is it part of the Blind Man Blues Forum?

Whatever, in my book there's only one real blues forum and you're on it now.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:34 AM »
"The Real Blues Forum" resides as a group on Facebook.

And while I enjoy reading this forum, there's some incredible content being generated over at TRBF that is definitely worth WCers to check out.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
Regarding the "The Real Blues Forum", Tom Rushen has it.

But if you don't want to join this group (or facebook in general),  rest assured that I'll continue to smuggle worthwhile information here, to my favourite Forum!  ;)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:59 AM »
FB is so 2011  :P

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
I'm not crazy about the awkward FB software/format, either, but there's no denying "The Real Blues Forum" has generated some powerful content.

Offline Neal Cassady

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
It's also extremely cool that it happened this year, the year when his final times and resting place became known, and the grave soon to be marked appropriately.

as a native Virginian, it's awesome to have found out he was born in VA, and now his last record was found in VA.

also really weird to think about how there was probably country blue fans from VA who were in close vicinity to this flea market. hell, i've been to so many flea markets around this state over the years that i coulda very well drove past it. is there a full story about the finding yet? i wanna know exactly where in VA it was.

all these records are out there, hanging out nearby waiting for someone to find em.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:59:50 PM by neal cassady »

Offline Saltmarsh Bill

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
I like to think that the discovery of this record was Blake's way of thanking the fans who recently provided a gravestone for him.

Offline Westside

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
I like to think that the discovery of this record was Blake's way of thanking the fans who recently provided a gravestone for him.
I was thinking the same thing!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
Amen brothers, that's a really nice thought. And "Big ups!" to Angie and Alex VDT.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:39:51 PM by Rivers »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
how bout this missing blake record??
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline CF

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
If any Weenies are part of the Facebook universe I'd like to third Tom H's & Pan's recommendation to check out the Real Blues Forum there. Their sister groups have unreleased recordings & lots of great documents & rare photos.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Well absolutely, if you consider Facebook to be some sort of universe. Don't forget to tune-in to the Facebook country blues juke while you're there, also check out the Facebook country blues wiki, FB c/b tag index and FB c/b search facility.

Jeesh, what is this, the invasion of Mark Zuckerburg's disillusioned zombie shareholder army?

Most of us are quite happy with what we've got going here, but thank you very much all the same.

Please PM one of the moderators before posting any more FB spam. Probably not me; pick your favorite moderator. Thanks. Or feel free to post on the Down The Dirt Road board, which is set up for promoting other worthy websites that are not weenie.

And now, to return to the topic, 'topic' being an alien concept on FB for more than 5 minutes I do realize (he said sarcastically), shall we continue discussing the vastly more important subject of the recent Blind Blake discovery? Thank you very, very much.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:41:21 PM by Rivers »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal