collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The blues is about a woman - Sam Chatmon

Author Topic: Old Hat finds another new Blind blake  (Read 2949 times)

Offline SleepyJohn

• Howdy!
Old Hat finds another new Blind blake
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
http://www.oldhatrecords.com/

Says the last undiscovered Blind Blake 78....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:02:01 AM by SleepyJohn »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Old Hat finds another new Blind blake
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »
Fantastic to have found two strong Blake tunes and in not too bad condition, from the samples. Both seem to feature him drumming on the guitar. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »

Undoubtedly Blake of course but actually very different from anything else he released.

Offline Steve Pajik

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
So cool when they find these old records!!  :D

Offline unezrider

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
very cool!
(kinda keeps hope alive for those remaining willie brown & sam collins sides ;) )
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Westside

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
Awesome!:)  I came across this great label for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I picked up a copy of "Violin, Sing The Blues For Me".   They put out some great stuff!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:18:08 AM by Westside Ryan »

Online Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
What fantastic news! 

Though Im almost sad now there's no more to find ;D

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, SleepyJohn. Pretty great that we now have all Blake's recordings. Or should I say known recordings? Maybe they'll just keep finding them.

Thanks, too, to Old Hat and the collectors who share these records when they find them, rather than hoarding them in their collector's lairs like the mad scientists we know they really are.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
Did Blake drum on the guitar top on any other recordings? I can't think of any right now but I don't listen to him as often as others here might so let us know.

JSP's Blind Blake All The Published Sides & the Document Complete sets are now obsolete. Nice problem to have. It's also extremely cool that it happened this year, the year when his final times and resting place became known, and the grave soon to be marked appropriately.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Miss Emma Liza is a fascinating track. Turns my understanding of Blake on it's head! I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
This is so great. What to say? Yay!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
What to say?

The question that springs immediately to my mind is: "When and where will they be issued on CD?"

Offline unezrider

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
next year's blues images calendar? we could have a wait here?
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
IIRC, when Marshall first came into possession of the trunk of records, the plan was to re-issue the collection as a set of CDs, but that didn't happen. My guess is that it will probably be released as part of an anthology at some point, possible by John T like unezrider said. 

Offline mr mando

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:16:10 AM »
I was not that much impressed with the music on the previously found Blind Blake Paramount (Sun to Sun/ Night and Day Blues), but from what little I heard of the last missing and now wondrously unearthed Pm 13115, this is top material, just the right thing to be excited about!

Hope to hear the whole thing soon, remastered by Rich Nevins.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
Come on Mr M...There's so much going on in Night and Day Blues and the vocal phrasing is terrific. One of my fav Blind Blake tracks ever!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 03:14:36 AM »
FWIW, John Tefteller apparently now owns the record, and he's going to publish the tracks on the 2014 Blues Images calendar!!! 
He says, on the Real Blues Forum, that the record is pretty whupped, but they hope to be able to remaster it with Richard Nevins.
The songs have Blake scat singing, singing falsetto, rapping his guitar, and playing extensive solos, according to Tefteller.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »
A Google search for the "Real Blues Forum" does not throw up a direct link. One of the more interesting ones seems to be the "West Australian Reptile Forum" or some such thing. Is it part of the Blind Man Blues Forum?

Whatever, in my book there's only one real blues forum and you're on it now.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:34 AM »
"The Real Blues Forum" resides as a group on Facebook.

And while I enjoy reading this forum, there's some incredible content being generated over at TRBF that is definitely worth WCers to check out.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
Regarding the "The Real Blues Forum", Tom Rushen has it.

But if you don't want to join this group (or facebook in general),  rest assured that I'll continue to smuggle worthwhile information here, to my favourite Forum!  ;)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:59 AM »
FB is so 2011  :P

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
I'm not crazy about the awkward FB software/format, either, but there's no denying "The Real Blues Forum" has generated some powerful content.

Offline Neal Cassady

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
It's also extremely cool that it happened this year, the year when his final times and resting place became known, and the grave soon to be marked appropriately.

as a native Virginian, it's awesome to have found out he was born in VA, and now his last record was found in VA.

also really weird to think about how there was probably country blue fans from VA who were in close vicinity to this flea market. hell, i've been to so many flea markets around this state over the years that i coulda very well drove past it. is there a full story about the finding yet? i wanna know exactly where in VA it was.

all these records are out there, hanging out nearby waiting for someone to find em.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:59:50 PM by neal cassady »

Offline Saltmarsh Bill

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
I like to think that the discovery of this record was Blake's way of thanking the fans who recently provided a gravestone for him.

Offline Westside

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
I like to think that the discovery of this record was Blake's way of thanking the fans who recently provided a gravestone for him.
I was thinking the same thing!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
Amen brothers, that's a really nice thought. And "Big ups!" to Angie and Alex VDT.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:39:51 PM by Rivers »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
how bout this missing blake record??
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline CF

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
If any Weenies are part of the Facebook universe I'd like to third Tom H's & Pan's recommendation to check out the Real Blues Forum there. Their sister groups have unreleased recordings & lots of great documents & rare photos.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Well absolutely, if you consider Facebook to be some sort of universe. Don't forget to tune-in to the Facebook country blues juke while you're there, also check out the Facebook country blues wiki, FB c/b tag index and FB c/b search facility.

Jeesh, what is this, the invasion of Mark Zuckerburg's disillusioned zombie shareholder army?

Most of us are quite happy with what we've got going here, but thank you very much all the same.

Please PM one of the moderators before posting any more FB spam. Probably not me; pick your favorite moderator. Thanks. Or feel free to post on the Down The Dirt Road board, which is set up for promoting other worthy websites that are not weenie.

And now, to return to the topic, 'topic' being an alien concept on FB for more than 5 minutes I do realize (he said sarcastically), shall we continue discussing the vastly more important subject of the recent Blind Blake discovery? Thank you very, very much.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:41:21 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 01:25:59 AM »
Well absolutely, if you consider Facebook to be some sort of universe. Don't forget to tune-in to the Facebook country blues juke while you're there, also check out the Facebook country blues wiki, FB c/b tag index and FB c/b search facility.

Jeesh, what is this, the invasion of Mark Zuckerburg's disillusioned zombie shareholder army?

Most of us are quite happy with what we've got going here, but thank you very much all the same.

Please PM one of the moderators before posting any more FB spam. Probably not me; pick your favorite moderator. Thanks. Or feel free to post on the Down The Dirt Road board, which is set up for promoting other worthy websites that are not weenie.

And now, to return to the topic, 'topic' being an alien concept on FB for more than 5 minutes I do realize (he said sarcastically), shall we continue discussing the vastly more important subject of the recent Blind Blake discovery? Thank you very, very much.

Well, I read them as friendly heads up posts, not spam.  :P Seriously, let's reserve that word for the real thing, not valued members sharing opinions.

I understand the wariness with all things Facebook. But the Real Blues group has some good people sharing stuff. I just really have trouble with the format for my blues surfing so rarely look at it. It's good for posting photos and links and one or two sentence responses, and that's about it, IMO.

(You also have to wonder about what happens when Facebook decides to change formats, group structures, whatever, as they are wont to do. No control over your information. Hope someone's archiving the good stuff.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:27:49 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »
Clearly, nothing is as good as good ole Weenie Campbell, but the Real Blues Group also features urban blues. As Andrew mentions, some knowledgable people are posting on there.

I'm not sure why they have elected to use Facebook as their template, but maybe it's easier than setting up an autonomous forum.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 05:12:30 AM »
I'm pretty wary of Facebook myself but I signed up for the Real Blues Forum and I'm glad I did. Particuarly valuable is the "Files" section which contains impossible to find blues articles plus dozens of scanned issued of Blues Unlimited. It looks like they plan on scanning the entire run. There are also scans of Blues Link magazine.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:54 AM »
I'm also a member and fan of RBF ...doesn't keep me away from WC three or four times a day as well! However, as I'm also a big fan of grumpy posts, hats off to Rivers for this year's grumpiest !

Offline CF

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »
 . . . as I said, The-Place-We-Shall-Not-Name has UNRELEASED RECORDINGS & RARE DOCUMENTS (FOR FREE) of revival era material from Sam Chatmon (a bunch of unreleased Chatmon recordings), Son House, Bukka White, etc. I don't hang out at WC cause I like the wallpaper (although it's very nice & makes the hanging more enjoyable), I'm here for the content. The aforementioned locations are heavy on cherry content.

Apparently the less than a minute snippets we have of the the two newly discovered Blake tunes are the parts of the records that sound the best. Tefteller has mentioned that the remainder of the tracks are pretty beaten up but Nevins gave 'em a listen & he's sure he can do something with them. I won't dare mention where I've learned this information.

Offline banjochris

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
I'm also a member and fan of RBF ...doesn't keep me away from WC three or four times a day as well! However, as I'm also a big fan of grumpy posts, hats off to Rivers for this year's grumpiest !

You want grumpy posts, join the Banjo Hangout!  >:D

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
Has blueshome been posting at the banjo hangout again?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
I realized my irritation was over the top. Thanks for understanding my occasional grumpiness. I just thought if I see another post boosting the FB group in this topic I would scream. So I looked at the thread, and sure enough, I screamed!  >:(

The only issue here really is taking this thread off topic, where it still remains. Does anyone think we should open another thread and move the posts that have nothing to do with the Blind Blake record to it?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
I would suggest a thread in the "down the dirt road" section, for fb and / or social media. We already bashed MySpace some time ago, so it could fit in there as well! ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Pan

I would like to add, that even if mentioning other forums is considered irritating, I feel that if the information I'm sharing is coming from one of those, it would be polite to mention it, at least. My intention is not to spam these, bur rather come clear where I got the information from.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:37:47 PM by Pan »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal