collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

...Lehman's was a world investment bank. They had testicles everywhere - Bertie Ahern

Author Topic: Do you use thumb/fingerpicks?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Do you use thumb/fingerpicks?
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
As an exercise in pure curiosity, I am wondering how many fellow Weenies use thumb and/or fingerpicks in their daily playing. If possible, specify type of pick (i. e. National, Dunlop, etc). I myself use a Dunlop clear plastic thumbpick and, depending on the song, a clear plastic fingerpick or 2 Dunlop steel picks (0.225 & 0.25). Ever since my right hand was smashed in an old steel press, I seldom play bare. Thanks for excercizing my curiosity,                   Larry
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Re: Do you use thumb/fingerpicks?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
I quite often use a thumb pick, I like the solid sound. Zookies are ace. I like the medium 20 degree picks.
Fingerpicks are fine for playing in Vestapol, but they tend to promote a lack of sensitivity.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:37 AM »
I tried Zookies, but kept getting my thumb caught on the bevel. Great picks for lap style tho.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:51:15 AM »
Also, I play a bit over the sound hole. Harder to mike, but I get better tone that way.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »
When I use picks it's generally 2 Propik fingerpicks #3 with the split wraparound, & a Zookie or Fred Kelly Slickpick delrin thumbpick. But I try not to obsess about these things and will use anything that feels the right thickness and fit. National, Dunlop, Golden Gate, brass or nickel, just so long as they fit and are not too thin or thick. I find many thumbpicks have too short a shank but can usually work with them. Not fond of all-metal thumbpicks but they are interesting sometimes.

These look interesting, anyone tried them? Gives a new meaning to the term 'hybrid picking' and could be just the thing for me: http://elderly.com/accessories/names/propik-nickel-thumbpick-with-delrin-tip--PK43D.htm

Offline unezrider

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
hello friend,
i don't always use picks, but when i do? i prefer john pearse thumb picks & national metal finger picks.
it took me awhile to find ones that felt right. & these were the winners for me. & i have really grown to love the thump you can get with the thumb pick, too. not quite the same with a bare thumb.
stay thumpy, my friends.
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59:53 AM »
I have tried the metal-with-plastic-tip type before, did not last well, but great tone quality.

Offline Saltmarsh Bill

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:58:53 AM »
These look interesting, anyone tried them? Gives a new meaning to the term 'hybrid picking' and could be just the thing for me: http://elderly.com/accessories/names/propik-nickel-thumbpick-with-delrin-tip--PK43D.htm

Yes, I like them.  I ordered medium and large, and use large as the medium version is too small even for my average-sized thumb.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
Fred Kelly Speedpick on the thumb and Dunlop .18's GS fingerpicks. Regular plastic Dunlop thumb pick for the 12-string though.

Offline twangmeister

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
I've just started using both thumb (Fred Kelly Bumblebee Jazz) and fingerpicks (Propik brass split wrap offset angle number 2). For years I struggled using bare fingers but had constant problems with my nails chipping and splitting. In particular my index finger had a flaw where it would split along the centre of the nail as soon as it had grown any length to it at all and eventually I got so fed up that I decided to just make the switch to finger and thumbpicks. It was a struggle to get used to them, but feel I'm getting somewhere now and am happy with my choices. The bumblebee extends out a shorter distance than a regular thumbpick which means my thumb is closer to the strings and more comfortable as a result. For the fingerpicks, brass is a warmer sound than nickel and the split wrap is very secure and comfortable with the offset allowing the pick to make a better contact with the string. Overall I'm happy and louder for making the switch although they do take time to get used to, but if they are good enough for Steve James......

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
I play without any picks, but have recently had my right hand index and middle fingernails acrylic-coated. Never breaks.

Alex

Offline CF

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
I recently did a show with a metal thumb & forefinger pick on my wooden body . . . the last time I did this was a succession of gigs over a two week period & I can't recall breaking a string the whole time . . . this time, although a meaty 2 & a half hour set (didn't know what I was getting myself into) & I somehow break the A & D strings! I'm going to try to move away from picks altogether (except a flatpick for my folk band) & cranking that volume up & just learning how to get what I need from there. Finding the right combination so you can play to the best of your ability is so important, I'm still learning.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Westside

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
This is slightly off topic, but I am curious. Did most of the old-time players wear picks or go with bare fingers?

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
Westside, I believe it was 50/50.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »
@Blueshome, Phil, my kit exactly! Who woulda thunk it, transatlantic minds ..etc. etc.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal