collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Negros must stop the deluge of filth, which makers of records are marketing among them. The music of the 'Blues' is one thing, but whether good or bad, it is indefensible to put to it all the stench which ingenuity can drag out the under-world and camouflage with words of double meaning. Don't buy them! Don't go to people's houses who do buy them! Don't permit your race newspaper to bear that name and at the same time advertise flagrant immorality set to music. Do anything, do everything, filthy records must go. - Roy Wilkins, (attrib.) editorial in the December 31 1926 edition of the Kansas City Call, probably written by the man who ironically went on to head up the NAACP

Author Topic: Open A tuning  (Read 177 times)

Offline David Kaatz

Open A tuning
« on: June 12, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »
After reading John and Eric's posts about Bb/C tuning as used by Peg Leg Howell, I thought I would give it a try. Without listening to Peg Leg first, so I was not trying to get any preconceived sounds, other than the descending line described by John here: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=437.msg108265#msg108265
This is what I came up with. Excuse the sloppy editing. I tried to remove my most egregious errors, with very limited editing tools.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Open A tuning
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »
Good for you, Dave.  That's a really good way to start familiarizing yourself with such an unfamiliar tuning.  One of the things that I liked about playing in that tuning when I first started fooling around in it was that I felt like it forced me to be more intuitive, since nothing lived where I was accustomed to it being.  I've played quite a lot in that tuning now, and I've found it to be exceptionally good for thumb lead playing.  It also really lends itself to close-voiced harmonically complex, piano-ish sorts of chord voicings, since unlike all other commonly used open tunings, there is no place in the tuning where it is a perfect fifth between consecutive strings, requiring you to go to the seventh fret to get a unison with the next higher open string.  It makes the left hand very compact.  Plus, I just like the sound of the open chord.  I've never tried it, but I think it would work well for slack-key type Hawaiian tunes, too.
All best,
John

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal