collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Now a short haired woman waiting for to carry your troubles on. Make you think through the daytime, trouble you all night long. She make you think you right, when you know darn well you wrong - Will Batts, Country Woman

Author Topic: Early 12 string Stella neck shape  (Read 650 times)

Offline pete12string

Early 12 string Stella neck shape
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Did the early Stella 12 strings have a particular neck size/shape?  Did they have a big baseball bat type neck?  Were they V shaped?  I'm having a neck modified on a replica Stella Auditorium 12 string (the Leadbelly/McTell type guitar) and was wondering what the originals were like.  Right now, the neck I have is too thick for me and it is difficult to wrap my thumb around up at the 7th fret.  I would describe it as a D or C shaped kind of neck (not too sure what the difference is between D and C shaped necks) and just too thick overall.  I'm thinking of having it thinned out a bit with a slight V shape...

Thanks!
Pete

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Early 12 string Stella neck shape
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:34:44 AM »
Sounds like a job for Neil Harpe.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline harpe

• Stella Guitars
Re: Early 12 string Stella neck shape
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »
Necks on the Oscar Schmidt Stella 12-strings vary somewhat. But for the most part, they have a gentle "V" shape, rounded at the apex with a width of 1 7/8". I would never describe the necks on old Stella 12-strings as being "baseball bat" shaped. But if we're talking about Holzapfel 12-strings, yes indeed....Louisville Slugger all the way!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal