collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

My first night in Chicago, my friends they really treated me fine. And overnight, they all changed like Daylight-Saving-Time - Chicago Blues 1941 Lonnie Johnson

Author Topic: Charlie Patton's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips  (Read 49423 times)

Offline Marco

Re: Charley Patton - A Spoonful...
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2006, 11:18:49 PM »
Thanks, Uncle Bud!

Today I'll try to play the song following your suggestions.

Have a nice week-end!!!

Marco.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Pony Blues
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2006, 06:48:39 AM »
Hi Cheapfeet

I hear the "A" chord you describe as something like x0x987, followed with maybe open E and B strings. I too will be interested to see what Chris has to say about this, though.

I'm now fooling with the idea, that the bent note in the "signature" lick could actually be a quick hammer on instead of the bend  :o , followed by two pull offs, the notes being exactly the same as with the bent lick. This seems to be easier to do (at least for old clumsy me) in tempo. Can't really make up my mind. ::)

If I understand you correctly, I think you got the ending lick right. Chris has it on the dot on his mp3, IMHO.

Yours

Pan

Edited to correct: I now think the "A" chord is just x0xx87, with open 1st and 2nd strings interjected.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:28:11 AM by Pan »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Pony Blues
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2006, 03:54:20 PM »
Pan reporting to Houston... ;)

No sensational news.

I just think I was wrong (again), and Cheapfeet and Banjochris are right about the V chord thing too. I now think I hear in some choruses the partial incomplete B7 chord Cheapfeet describes: x2x202, broken into the bass strings first, then followed with the top strings; and lastly followed with the B - G# 6th interval on the IV frets as Chris describes.

By the way I completely agree with both gentlemen in that in "Stone Pony" the arpeggiated chord after the descending single note line is an E major. So much for my "theory" of the IV chord being "logical" in that instance ::)!

I think that in the very last bassline lick of the song, the first slurred G to G# notes are being doubled as an octave (I think the open 3rd strg is being hammered on to the Ist fret, while the G# is being slid in from the IIIrd to the IVth fret on the 6th strg.), then followed with just the bass notes for the rest of the lick as Cheapfeet describes.

Offline Dr. G

Pony Blues
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2006, 08:15:57 AM »
Thanks, guys!

From one of the 35-odd passionate pickers following this dialogue (and downloading your MP3 phrases/interpretations) -- but with little to contribute yet to it (barely dared attempting any Patton signature piece, myself) -- please be advised that your time and efforts are enormously appreciated. I hope that I/we can return the favor on some elegant but obscure old blues that you haven't doped out yet.

Dr. G

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Pony Blues
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
Hi all

Here's an mp3 of the whole guitar part as I hear it. 

Yours

Pan

Edited to add: re-listening I think Patton plays the bended lick in the 4th or "Brownskin woman" chorus in a much more legato way than I do. The best way to do this seems to be using the open E or 1st string right after the bend; exactly as Chris describes it in his post!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:49:31 AM by Pan »

Offline Dr. G

Pony Blues
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2006, 06:26:39 PM »
Absolutely superb, Pan. Sweet, sublime, dead-steady rhythmically. I want everything you've ever recorded, or thought of recording!

Dr. G

Nawahi

Re: Shake it Break it Bm7
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2006, 08:38:41 AM »
Shake it and Break it also works very well in open G tuning,i was fooling around in open G and come across it,i`ll see if i can post some sort of tab later

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Poor Me
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »
Actually, you can buy yourself a pretty cheap Christmas present.  John Miller covers Poor Me in one of his audio lessons.  Click on the Lessons link on the left sidebar for details.

Offline banjochris

Poor Me
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »
I don't have a guitar with me (I'm at work) - but it sounds like it might be the same E-flat 6th chord he plays for 2 beats in Down the Dirt Road. That chord, IIRC, is a C chord slid up three frets and mash your middle finger on the third string and fourth string at the fifth fret. See if that works -- I could be way off-base and I'll check when I get home tonight.
Good luck
Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Poor Me
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »
I don't have a guitar in hand either at the moment, but after listening to it earlier I was going to say sounds like it could be the chord in Down the Dirt Road as Chris suggests.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Pony Blues
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
Adding tags to Patton threads and thought I'd reply to this oldie but goodie.

It's amazing to read through the thread and see you guys work this out. Cheapfeet, I did mention that Paul Geremia talked about Pony and covered some of it at Port Townsend. In particular, that end of verse lick. I've finally been picking up my guitar again after too long a hiatus and Pony Blues is the first tune I revisited. I'm going to go through the thread in detail to compare notes and then report on what I've come up with over the years tooling around with this song. You've heard that one before but I promise!

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Patton's It Won't Be Long - flatpick?
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »
I recall having a conversation with Waxwing awhile back in which he related a discussion he'd had with Terry Robb about Robb's theory that Patton flatpicked a bunch of his songs (correct me if I'm wrong, Wax). While I'm not at all convinced that's the case with his standard tuning material and non-slide material in Spanish tuning, when listening to his slide tunes, almost all of which are in Spanish, I'm less certain. I listened to one of my favourites, It Won't Be Long, over and over again today and think one could make an argument for this being played lapstyle with a flatpick. I'm not saying it is or isn't, but I'm curious about what others think.

Some arguments for: it's hard to pinpoint a place where any pinches of bass and melody occur. The repeated sixteenth notes on the high E string sure would be easier. The open chord strums are quite strong.

Some arguments against: it's nuts!

Any opinions?

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Patton's It Won't Be Long - flatpick?
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:58 PM »
Yeah, it was Terry who said it to me. He said that he and Fahey would listen to Patton late into the night on many occasions and that Fahey felt this way, I think. He's doing another House concert at my house next month so I'll ask him. I think he refered to someone else feeling the same, as well.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Willie Brown's Liquor at CD Baby

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Patton's It Won't Be Long - flatpick?
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2007, 07:36:51 AM »
Great, but have a listen and let me know what you think as well.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Poor Me
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
Had a closer listen to this.

It's in C position, capoed up 2 or so as you note.

I think the I chord in the intro "It's [on] me, it's poor me" section, aside from the first position C, is a partial using the first 3 strings: XXX053. Sometimes that open G string rings more than others.

I think the "Don't the moon" chord is like the moved up C shape out of Down the Dirt Road, played at the eighth fret, 887x68. But he plays it hitting the high E at the 8th fret first, and then strumming the bottom three strings. That 2nd string is barely there to my ear on this chord. To get the fingering with the 2nd string in there, you need to mash the 6th and 5th strings with your ring finger. An old (and a pain in the arse :) ) country blues trick. You could cheat and play the chord 887xx8, freely up an extra finger for those three bottom notes.

That chord then moves down 2 frets (no cheating on this one) to 665x46: "look pretty..." That 3rd string could actually be open and sound OK.

Then a partial: xxxx35, possibly with a wraparound thumb bass note: 5xxx35. Using a wraparound thumb.

Then a single note: xxxxx3. Followed by a C note on the 2nd string, 1st fret, then into a regular C chord.

The "by and by" sections use that xxx053 partial, and those end riffs of course.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:45:22 PM by uncle bud »

Tags: Charlie Patton  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal