collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

No matter what a young person thinks he or she is really hot stuff at doing, he or she is sooner or later going to run into somebody in the same field who will cut him or her a new asshole, so to speak - Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

Author Topic: Review of '112 Guildford St.'......  (Read 322 times)

Offline Adam Franklin

Review of '112 Guildford St.'......
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
Nice review of my last studio cd, featured in Blues In Britain magazine......

Adam Franklin ? 112 Guildford St.
Mr. Waxy Records ? waxys-004
I was only introduced to Adam Franklin recently when he joined Del Rey on stage at a gig in Hastings and I was immediately impressed by his instrumental and vocal skills, as well as his stage presence. Of the 14 tracks on this CD, 6 are Franklin originals and the rest covers of classics of country blues and early jazz. Adam accompanies himself on resophonic guitars and ukulele, putting in a fine performance throughout.
   The album kicks off with a fine rendition of Fred McDowell?s ?Kokomo Blues? with some driving guitar accompaniment. Other artists covered include Charley Patton, Robert Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson from the pre-war period, whereas a cracking version of Muddy?s ?Can?t Be Satisfied?, played somewhat surprisingly and innovatively on banjo-uke, delves into the Chicago blues era. ?Yo-Yo Blues? is a Barbecue Bob song given the Franklin treatment, but still true to the spirit of the original with hints of Mr. Hicks? bottleneck style. Franklin original ?Falling Rain? features a guitar accompaniment reminiscent of Blind Blake with great ragtime picking and a relaxed feel. This and the other original pieces demonstrate that Adam is well capable of writing interesting lyrics relevant to today and fitting them into the country blues genre.
   I wholeheartedly recommend this album to fans of downhome blues and especially those with a love for resophonic instruments.

The reviewer is a forum member. And a splendid chap.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:14:30 AM by Adam Franklin »

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Review of '112 Guildfrod St.'......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
The reviewer is a forum member. And a splendid chap.

I could take an inspired guess..
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal