collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

When you hear that bell ringing, can't you hear that whistle blow. Well I feel like leaving but I don't know where to go - Bumble Bee Slim, Bricks In My Pillow

Author Topic: Andy Mosely & "Hogman" Maxey Lyrics  (Read 2323 times)

Offline alyoung

Re: Andy Mosely & "Hogman" Maxey Lyrics
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »
"This video is not available" -- to me in New Zealand, anyway -- but I have this track, and it shows clearly that Mosely and probably Maxey were no strangers to gospel music. The song is a widely performed and recorded gospel standard (usually called I Thank You Jesus) and in the 1950s it became popular among gospel quartets. Two of the best-known groups to have recorded it are the Soul Stirrers and the Harmonizing Four; they and others -- I've just also spot-checked the Skylight Singers and the Southern Wonders -- used the loping swing that Mosely and Maxey use. There's no way of knowing exactly which group M&M modeled their performance on, but it definitely stems from an established quartet style; in today's lexicon this would probably be called a "cover". 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Andy Mosely & "Hogman" Maxey Lyrics
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
Hi all,
I was looking through back pages of the Lyrics Board the other day and was surprised to find an earlier thread devoted to Andy Mosely, started by beljum, that I had altogether forgotten.  I merged it with the more recent thread.  So there you go.  It's sort of funny (or sobering) to see the same points made twice.
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal