collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm just like Job's Turkey, I can't do nuthin but wobble. I'm so poor baby, I have too lean up against the fence to gobble - Big Bill Broonzy, Looking Up At Down

Author Topic: Ragtime Blues in Berlin on the 28th of September 2011  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Ragtime Blues in Berlin on the 28th of September 2011
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Ragtime Blues in Berlin on the 28th of September 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
Good luck Pan, have a great gig!

How is the CB scene progressing in Berlin BTW? I met a lot of really good players during my time in Germany (Dusseldorf mostly), locals and ex pats. The repertoires  among the acoustic players was pretty eclectic but the ones I hung out with all loved country blues and old jazz standards, I learned a lot from them. Broonzy was pretty universally regarded as a saint among those players at that time, late 70's / early 80's. Those were good times and happy memories for me.

Berlin was a gas, though the wall was still up when I was there.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
Hello Rivers.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Berlin isn't exactly a Country Blues Mecca, I've come to find, but after a long holiday in Finland, I'm ready and eager to fight the windmills again.   :)

Broonzy still appears to ring a bell, and the occasional jazz standard seems to go down well also.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
Good luck Pan! BTW Broonzy WAS a saint (well sort of ...musically speaking that is). Its funny but one of those synergistic things is happening where people are starting to tune into his LATE recordings with interest. I have been working on some of his late pieces which I think are just sensational and then when I met up with Ernie Hawkins this summer he told me that he's workin' on a DVD lesson thing of Late Broonzy as well! (damn it!) ! Nobody did old Jazz standards with more originality and pure funk than BBB. Its in the air its everywhere...so go git it bwah!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »
I love late Broonzy! Sometimes I think he got even better with age!  8)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
Yeah, totally agree, I love those recordings that went out later, particularly on the French Vogue label. Bill seems to revel in the increased fidelity and milks the timing, voice and guitar. Some of my favorite stuff.

Tilting at windmills, how true, for all of us.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:03:50 PM by Rivers »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal