collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

My boss had us all gather 'round. He said "The computer's gonna make, they gonna make your work easier. Don't you worry 'bout a thing". But don't you know, don't you know, when the work is too easy, Lord they don't need you no more. Computer took my job away from me - Maurice John Vaughan, Computer Took My Job

Author Topic: Guitar Intensives 2011  (Read 542 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Guitar Intensives 2011
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
Hi all,
If any of you have not fully planned your summer yet, would like to attend a week-long music camp and can't make it to EBA Blues Week or Port Townsend, you might be interested in the Guitar Intensives camp in Bar Harbor, Maine in the second week of August.  Staff will include Ernie Hawkins, Del Rey, Orville Johnson, Rich Del Grosso, Martin Groswendt, Shawn Persinger and me.  I taught there for the first time last summer.  The camp is held at a beautiful location on a college campus, the food is really good, and the feel of the event is friendly and relaxed.  For more information, go to www.guitarintensives.com.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Guitar Intensives 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33:27 AM »
Hi all,
I finally got home from the 2011 Guitar Intensives session.  It was a lot of fun, and Bar Harbor, Maine is a spectacular place to hold such an event.  Enrollment was small, under forty students, so if you like small classes, this event might be a good option for you next summer.  The staff was very strongly grounded in Blues, so much so that I didn't even end up teaching a blues class, though I did some Blues workshops later in the week and taught R.L. Burnside's "Goin' Down South" and "Mellow Peaches".  I think Orville Johnson may have had the largest class with his "Lead Guitar" class, which focused on soloing.  The event has the best camp food I've ever had.  It was good hear more of the music of Martin Groswendt, who is such a strong singer and player, and to see Ernie Hawkins and Rich Del Grosso, who I run into too infrequently.  It was great to re-connect with friends I made there last year, too.  A highlight of the staff concert was Del Rey's stunning performance of the Dave Frishberg song, "I Want to be a Sideman", on ukulele.  This event, despite its name, has a very nice low-key sort of feel to it, and I hope I get to return to it in the future.
All best,
Johnm 

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal