collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I was bare-footed, naked, out in the ice and snow, with all my yes-yes out, and see my big toe. I was bare-footed, didn't have on no shoes, and the rocks, gravel and concrete is giving my toe the blues - Peetie Wheatstraw

Author Topic: Don't Start Me To Talkin' ? Quote Drive 2011  (Read 7846 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Don't Start Me To Talkin' ? Quote Drive 2011
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2011, 08:24:41 AM »
Now folks, I'm gonna give you a little of Old Dan Tucker, containing more heterogeneous constipolicy, double flavor and unknown quality than usual - Uncle Dave Macon

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 07:04:26 AM »
It's a bad wind that never change - Blind Lemon Jefferson

Offline unezrider

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
When I die, they'll say, 'He couldn't play shit, but he sure made it sound good!' ? Hound Dog Taylor
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2011, 07:12:59 AM »
All right boys, say, play that piano loud and bring me some more of that catjuice up there - Peg Leg Howell, "Chittlin' Supper"

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:30 AM »
Since drivin' through Texas, I've seen more windmills and less water, more cows and less milk, seen farther and seen less than any dadburn country I was ever in - A.P. Carter, "The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers in Texas"

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
When you go down on Deep Ellum, keep your carburator clean, 'cause the women on Deep Ellum sell you dirty gasoline - Bill Neely, Deep Ellum Blues documentary

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
One day a man wearing a Western-style hat with a red bandanna around his neck walked into our store and announced that he was Jelly Roll Morton, the greatest stomp and blues piano player this side of New Orleans. Cassius Clay had nothing on Jelly Roll! - Lester Melrose, comparing Jelly roll Morton to a young (pre name change) Mohammed Ali

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »

Julius Lester came in with a music caravan. Bob Dylan was there, Pete Seeger, Theodore Bikel. But what they forgot about was that for about 100 miles around, [they] had some of the best traditional music ever. And we didn?t have the consciousness then to pull that together, you know, to pull in those living legends of blues men and women who were right there.?--Worth Long, organizer for the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, talking about a movement festival in Greenwood, Mississippi in 1960s.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 07:24:02 AM »
"Did your gun go rootie, toot, toot?" asked Baker's attorney. "No," she replied. "It went TOOT. I just shot him once." - Frankie Baker, possibly the original Frankie, explaining how she dealt with Johnny, in the course of an unsuccessful lawsuit to collect damages over Republic Pictures' movie Frankie and Johnny (from the notes to When the Sun Goes Down Vol 1, Walk Right In)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 07:28:51 AM »
After years of consideration I?ve come to the conclusion that, within limits, gear is more important as a topic of conversation than as a way of making music. It?s just not that important. ? Chris Smither

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
Sorry JohnM, I know you hate be immortalized in quotes but I had to include this one:

For "Snowing And Raining", both Alec Seward and Louis Hayes were playing out of A position in standard tuning.  Slim starts out stating his problem, and Jelly offers no sympathy, as per usual.  They worked so well this way, and they continue to alternate verses once they start singing.  Most of their cuts are pretty short, and they remind me of episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" in that they don't so much end, as they do stop - JohnM, Guitar Slim & Jelly Belly lyrics thread

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 03:53:12 AM »
No capo, no party - EBA Blues week attendee, 2010.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
"I've been in bigger jails than you've been in towns." -Peg Leg Pete puts younger men present in their place (Bruce Bastin, "Crying for the Carolines").

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »

"First thing you got to remember, there ain't no money above the fifth fret"--Larry Barnwell, a regional sales rep for the Martin Guitar Company and a good flatpicker, when asked by a potential customer, a fingerpicker, whether he should buy a 12- or 14-fret guitar. 

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
"Meh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh." "Man, take that goat outta here." - Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers, "Billy Goat Stomp"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:22:31 AM by uncle bud »

Tags: quotes 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal