collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

We could sit here and play five thousand blues... Because all three of us here now, we knows it. When he sings it (Brownie McGhee), when he starts it then it comes to me, and it comes to Sonny (Terry) and then to Brownie... Because you feel it from one another, which don't happen to all musicians though - Big Bill Broonzy

Author Topic: Ashley Thompson Interview 1973  (Read 1294 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Ashley Thompson Interview 1973
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »
"Interview with Ashley Thompson, 27 October 1973, Ripley, Tennessee, by Margaret McKee and Fred Chisenhall, Oral History Collection, Beale Black and Blue, transcripts, Memphis Public Library."

I met Tony Thomas at the Banjo Collector's Gathering in Nashville this past November.  He is researching a book on Gus Cannon and black banjo styles, and gave a presentation on this topic at the Gathering.  Tony came to Memphis after the Nashville weekend and was hoping to get to the Memphis Public Library to do some research.  He ran out of time and asked me to track the above interview down, which I scanned as a PDF document last night.  I was hoping to attache the PDF to this post, but I can't find a way to do it.  If anybody wants a copy, send me your email address and I will send it to you.  The interview runs 41 pages, no photos, so this is a much smaller file than the Memphis Jug Bands book I scanned a while back that was too large to email.  This one come in at just under 3 megs, so email is no problem.

Edited to add:

Ashley Thompson was a guitarist and vocalist with Cannon's Jug Stomers on 8 (?) of their recorded sides.  He grew up with Noah Lewis near Ripley, Tennessee.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:10:07 AM by DanceGypsy »

Offline jostber

Re: Ashley Thompson Interview 1973
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
To attach files, choose Reply and then Additional Options. From there you can attach a pdf.

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
No go - I guess just shy of 3 megs is still to large to upload here.  Email it is, let me know if anybody is interested.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »
Get it. It's fascinating. Thanks Christian

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
PM sent.
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline luka.renic

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
Hello everybody..

I know that this is a bit older post,but I would really appreciate if someone would send me this.

Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal