collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Much of the Dolceola's checkered history is recounted in various journals as well as the previous Yazoo 2003, which you may refer to now before discarding - Pat Conte, notes to The Key to the Kingdom, Washington Phillips, Yazoo 2073, which describe Phillips' true instrument as a paired Phonoharp and Celestaphon

Author Topic: Books on early jazz  (Read 2019 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Re: Books on early jazz
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »
Wondrich goes on to mention the recordings of the Society Orchestra and the Hellfighter's Band, as well as his work with the Castles.  What he said here was that nobody recorded the original CCO, which had booted Europe out before he recorded with his Society Orchestra.  This illustrates a major theme that runs through the book, to wit that we have little idea what hot music sounded like just before it was committed to record (duh), and that the white bands that did get on record in the early days (the ODJB, Whiteman and other "Syno-Peppers," as Wonrich calls them) were obviously playing cleaned up, smoothed out and toned down versions of the real hot music.  Wondrich longs for recordings of, say, Handy's band in the early nineteen-teens, the original CCO in the months after it was formed, etc.  At any rate, this book has been my first introduction to early jazz (unless you count the text on the back of R. Crumb's "Early Jazz Greats" trading cards), and in reading this along with the accompanying two Archeophone CDs a real education has been achieved.  And the ubiquitous appetite whetted for more.  I guess I should have known it would always come to this - Jazz, the Blues and Country (i.e, Hillbilly records).  The triumvirate is now complete, and I am keenly interested in all of this music.

Offline oddenda

Re: Books on early jazz
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 05:30:22 AM »
DG -

Other releases from Archeophone are their ragtime collections, plus the 1923 King Oliver sides. That last is something of a jazz Rosetta stone!

Peter B.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal