collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Every good-bye ain't gone, little woman, and the shut-eye sure ain't sleep. But I said one thing about it, baby, will you please remember me - Frankie Lee Sims, Don't Forget Me Baby

Author Topic: Weenie Campbell Theme CD's idea  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Weenie Campbell Theme CD's idea
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:58:10 AM »
Hi all.

Through the years we have gathered several great threads that are very informative, and have a specific angle towards looking at CB. I believe that many of these threads could benefit if an accompanying CD would be available.

Some threads that immediately come to mind are the various tuning threads, Adventures in Spanish / Vestapol / Dropped D/ etc. which would be a great resource for musicians.

Others might deal with musical form, rather than guitar tunings; blues with 16 bars, 8 bars, blues in F, waltzes played by CB artists, or the "one of a kind" thread also comes to mind.

Or blues with minor chords. Or the harmonic complexity thread. And so on. You get my drift.

As I type I realize these seem to be maybe very musician oriented themes. Perhaps we could have other ideas as well, but since the commercial record companies are already putting out complete recordings by such and such artist, there seems to be no point by competing with these already existing themes. Regional themes also already exist.

Anyway this is just a wild thought, and maybe I'm out of line suggesting things like these. I realize it would take some work to do this, but maybe the Juke database would be of help. This could also be a collective effort if needed. I would be happy to provide with any tracks that I happen to have in possession. The copyright issues should be dealt with too, but since much of the music and recordings are very old, maybe this wouldn't be a too big issue?

Anyway, buying these CD?s would be a great way to support the Juke also.

By the way, I'd like to make clear that I'm in no way dissing the great work Phil Hawkins has done, compiling the great Weenie CD's. I have them all, and they are great! Every one should have them (wink wink, nudge nudge)! But one person alone can only do so much.

Anyway let me know what you think, is the idea any good, is this doable or too much work or hassle? I for one would think it would be very cool to possess some Weenie Campbell Theme CD's that you can't get from anywhere else!  :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Weenie Campbell Theme CD's idea
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »
I Like it, i like it, but producing a CD is a lot of work and costs money. Perhaps downloadable compilations are the way to go. I mean I prefer a nicely produced and illustrated hardcopy with good liner notes, but thats a whole business enterprise.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »
The copyright issues should be dealt with too, but since much of the music and recordings are very old, maybe this wouldn't be a too big issue?

The theme idea is a fine idea (but it is a lot work to produce CDs), but the real rub is copyright. Copyright is confusing and complicated and we've debated whether we can do podcasts and the like for years.  Copyright involves composers, publishers, licensing entities along with public performance right, the mechanical right, the reproduction right, the synchronization right, and others.  So we've stayed away from distributing music.  Broadcasting music is a different animal still, under different rules and we feel comfortable broadcasting.

So, the next idea we are toying with, if I can get my technical act together, and that follows the theme idea is to do live broadcasts - have 2 or more weenies discussing and broadcasting themes like Adventures in Spanish / Vestapol / Dropped D/ etc. --- picking tunes off the juke and making those available via the internet waves.  :) 

Offline GavinG

• Only one missing is a National Style O....someday!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »
I'm not an expert in this area, but I know with our outreach band when we do cover tunes it's not an issue. It only becomes an issue if there is any money made. Like you can't sell tickets, or sell cd's. I also believe you can't do other peoples music in a demo cd because it runs into copyright issues. That's what I'm lead to believe anyhow.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
The copyright issues should be dealt with too, but since much of the music and recordings are very old, maybe this wouldn't be a too big issue?

The theme idea is a fine idea (but it is a lot work to produce CDs), but the real rub is copyright. Copyright is confusing and complicated and we've debated whether we can do podcasts and the like for years.  Copyright involves composers, publishers, licensing entities along with public performance right, the mechanical right, the reproduction right, the synchronization right, and others.  So we've stayed away from distributing music.  Broadcasting music is a different animal still, under different rules and we feel comfortable broadcasting.

So, the next idea we are toying with, if I can get my technical act together, and that follows the theme idea is to do live broadcasts - have 2 or more weenies discussing and broadcasting themes like Adventures in Spanish / Vestapol / Dropped D/ etc. --- picking tunes off the juke and making those available via the internet waves.  :) 

While daydreaming I never realized how complicated these copyright issues might be. Weenie theme broadcastings would be a wonderful thing, although I assume a lot of work would be needed for this also.

I hope I didn't sound ungrateful with my fantasizing here; what you guys are doing right now is absolutely wonderful.

Mr. O'Muck, when you put out a CD, I'll be sure to get the hardcopy, just to not miss your cover art!  :D

Cheers

Pan

Offline GavinG

• Only one missing is a National Style O....someday!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »
Hey Pan, don't worry bout a thing. Over at the Pickin Parlor I had the same idea. all the great players and tunes, I wanted to suggest the same type of thing but the damn legal thing came to mind.

It's a great idea. If they are originals that may be a different story. You could get permission from everyone in here since it's their original stuff,and then perhaps go with your idea.

As for the production of cd, as much as we would want perfection. As long as the tunes are equalized in volume.....that's all thats needed.

To save someone the responsiblies of doing it all, perhaps have a separate page or forum strictly for audio that could have songs that anyone is willing to "hand out so to say" for download to members. Catagorized by style.....instruments ....etc.That way anyone can make their own CD's and so on.

Just an idea

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 02:08:57 AM »
Hmm...
Original material, eh? We did this "Forum Members CD" thing over at Big Road Blues a few years ago, I volunteered to do the  compiling & burning, what a hell of a job it turned out to be!
Various discs and even tapes (yes tapes!) slowly trickled in from all around the world - it would have been great if I was a stamp collector - and I eventually had to get everyone's details correctly filed with the relevant tracks in the right order on the discs and then post them out. It was a lot bigger job than it sounds. And, to be perfectly frank, some of the material was very much less listenable than one might have liked.
I think a password protected download will be considerably less work for whoever draws the short compiler's straw.

Tags: