collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Robert was loading his gear into the van when he dropped an amplifier onto his left hand and broke his forefinger. The second night he just reinvented all his chords for three fingers. Most amazing thing I ever did see - Robert Junior Lockwood, by Chris Smith on prewarblues list

Author Topic: Mystery Blues Photo  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Mystery Blues Photo
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 02:39:57 PM »
Hi all,
Judging from the fact that all of the fingers on his right hand are held in the same degree of flexion to make contact with the strings, the guitarist in the left of the duo picture would not appear to be Clyde Stewart, particularly if Clyde Stewart lost his digits in a childhood accident.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lkn2myis

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
I would agree.

I had heard the finger story a long time ago.  I don't remember if it was supposed to be the entire finger, just the 'ends', or whatever. 

I do remember everyone agreeing with the story as if it were true, but who knows?

Offline Lyle Stewart

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
Hi everyone.  I had to hop in on this one.  When I first heard about Clyde Stewart years ago, I was connected immediately because we have similar names.  It is true that he lost two fingertips on his pickin' hand in a childhood accident.  From the limited images I've ever seen of him, that may very well be him standing in the photograph. I wonder if the guy sitting is Ben Maree.. who played with Clyde on those 2 songs. Ben also ran with Patton and lived near Boyle MS... which is where, I believe, Clyde was from.  If anyone can verify that this is in fact Clyde Stewart, this would be a huge day in Southern Blues history.

As the slogan said, "he played great with only eight."

Lyle

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »

Great first post, Lyle, appreciate the clarification. Welcome to Weenie.

Offline lkn2myis

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 03:22:18 AM »
Lyle -

Do you have that - or any, for that matter - photos of Clyde Stewart?

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 05:39:40 AM »
But by 1937, Ben Maree would have been around fifty years of age (if the 1887 date of birth is right) ; the seated guitarist doesn't look so old as that to me.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 06:03:16 AM »
On one visit Bernie asked me my opinion on a recording that he recently bought at an auction which he said was a 'rare find.'

Toby, why is there no record of this recording.... anywhere?

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »
Perhaps Clyde Stewart shoveled horseshit for a living.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 07:05:37 AM »
Ah, one of those obscure professions.

Offline Lyle Stewart

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 07:27:16 AM »
Lyle -

Do you have that - or any, for that matter - photos of Clyde Stewart?

Sorry, I don't have any photos of Clyde.  I saw one about 30 years ago during a trip through Mississippi.  Haven't seen one since.

It's great to know that Bernie had a copy of those recordings though.  I find that extremely heartening since I've been looking for those for quite a few years.  Bernie was a giant when it came to collecting super rare recordings.  He's responsible for discovering a bunch of that type of stuff during his extensive travels down south.  He's the reason that a lot of these "obscure" recordings are not obscure anymore.  He got them into the hands of the public.  If only he could have done this with the Stewart recordings...................

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »
Hi all,
It could be Clyde Stewart in the photo.  It could also be the amazing Lamar Vance, or Crazy Daddy Wilson, or Sidney Hochstetter, or even Big Hat Jones.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
Sidney Hochstetter
:P

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »
Hi Toby,

Please understand that you are dealing with a bunch of skeptics. :)  There have been plenty of spoofs of "obscure bluesmen" and since there is no confirmation of of the recordings(which is strange if indeed Bernie of Blues Mafia fame has had a rare 78 in his possession for over 25 years) or the man --- so I, at least, consider "Clyde Stewart" to be bogus.  I'd love to be proven wrong however.

Thanks,
slack

Offline Gerry Clarke

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
That's a nice photograph.

Field recordings were made in both Birmingham and Hot Springs, Ark.  Gennett recorded no less a luminary than William Harris in Birmingham during 1927 and also eighteen titles by Jaybird Coleman.  Vocalion recorded gospel material in the same city the following year.  ARC had sessions in both Birmingham and Hot Springs in 1937.  Ft. Smith is about 140 miles from Hot Springs.

Ref. Dixon and Godrich "Recording The Blues".  Studio Vista 1970.

For what it's worth, there is no mention in 78 Quarterly No. 10 "The Rarest 78s" (1960's blues collectors' musings) of anyone ever having a recording by a "Clyde Stewart".

Gerry

Online dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »
For what it's worth, there is no mention in 78 Quarterly No. 10 "The Rarest 78s" (1960's blues collectors' musings) of anyone ever having a recording by a "Clyde Stewart".

I was just going to post that if Klatzko had a record, he for some reason hid it from Pete Whelan, as it's absent from the very long (covering multiple issues), very detailed list Gerry mentions.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal