collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

This liquor is just right. Any worse and I wouldn't be able to drink it, any better and you wouldn't have given me any - Anon., old Southern saying

Author Topic: Who's the most underrated country blues musician?  (Read 6820 times)

Offline harry

Who's the most underrated country blues musician?
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
My vote would be "Cryin" Sam Collins.

Offline jostber

Re: Who's the most underrated country blues musician?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:38:45 AM »
My vote would be for Allen Shaw.

Offline 143TallBoy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:30:14 AM »
I'd have to second Crying Sam Collins too. The first few lines of "Devil in the Lion's Den' always makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. He almost sounds like a ghost. Beautiful understated slide guitar too and it's just ever so slightly out of tune. Wonderful stuff.

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »
My vote is for either J.T. "Funny Papa" Smith or Johnny Shines. "Funny Papa" was a brilliant lyricist whose vocals were unlike that of everyone else. Johnny, though well-versed in electric "Chicago" Blues and Soul music, was a true master of the Country Blues who was incredible on slide and had a voice more powerful than the great Howlin' Wolf.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Josh White

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Josh White
Personally, perhaps more misunderstood than underrated. The one big disappointment for me about Elijah Wald's biography was the sparse coverage given to JW's prolific early prewar recording career. It's as if it almost never took place. But I speak as a man who not only has them all on LP but CD too, so maybe I'm a suitable case for treatment!  ;D

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
Hi all,
My choice would be Blind Lemon Jefferson.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »
Smokey Babe & Shirley Griffith.
I know what you mean about BLJ John. It seems that its too easy to relegate him to legendary influence status without actually listening too much to him. A shame. I feel a little that way about BBB too. Often dismissed by those interested in "serious" Blues, its usually old timers like us who finally end up shaking our heads in disbelief as the music we fell in love with at 16 accrues greater meaning and depth and those performers we may have set aside while exploring others, asume a new importance.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »
I'm with Wax.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »
In a post war context I would say Baby Tate.

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »
I'm with O'Muck on Smoky Babe. I was introduced to the Arhoolie album by the late Simon Napier on one of my regular visits to Flyright records years ago. It was a "cut-out" and probably only cost about 99p. I fell in love with that LP straight away and every country blues fan I played it to was instantly hooked as well. This wasn't some recording star, but just a bloke recorded in his own home after a few glasses of wine. Real music!

I have to admit, I fully understand Wax's stance as the so-called "obscure" musicians are probably very familiar to a lot of us old fogies here. However, it's nice to be able to point younger/newer blues fans in the right direction.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
    • Blueshome
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:46:21 AM »
I too am with Wax on this.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:50:27 AM »
Smokey Babe
he's certainly been the topic of appreciative discussion in the past

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=5448.0

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:30 AM »
I'm basically with Wax on this, too.  Without a definition of "underrated", it's hard to make an intelligent choice.  With that said, here are a few thoughts on the matter, assuming that you mean someone who is underrated by the community of fairly knowledgeable country blues fans  (say someone who has spent 100 hours or more listening to the Weenie Juke  ;D ).

Among guitar players, strummers are generally underrated as compared to pickers.  So Jim Jackson would be underrated as compared to Sam Collins.

Pianists are generally underrated as compared to guitar players.  So Walter Roland would be underrated as compared to Sam Collins.

Singers who didn't play any instrument are the most underrated.  Sorry Texas Alexander and Lucille Bogan!

And, of course, the hundreds of interesting artists who never got a chance to record are the most underrated of all.

Of course there are exceptions to all of this, both as regards artists and as regards members of the fan community.  But I think it's a fairly accurate rule of thumb.  

Offline unezrider

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »
hello friend,
initially i wasn't going to comment on this thread, as i didn't see any reason too. but a day later & after reading further, i felt a need to say i'm with wax on this, too.
the tags are a pretty useful tool. & in all due respect, i would find threads discussing these musicians & their work (& even lack of exposure) much more interesting than just putting someone's name on a list with no reason why you feel they aren't fully appreciated. i'm not trying to be mean spirited, but there are a lot of people here who know so much about this music. & i find if i ever have any questions regarding so-&-so, someone here can always enlighten me.
& for what it's worth, i too think sam collins is great. & he's someone i only got into very recently. which is always a nice treat at this point!
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal