collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

We wanted to play the blues, so we got some stuff we recorded that's almost a blues and it's almost a waltz - which I think would be nice for y'all to learn about... Don't ever say "I can't do something because I don't have this..." I learned to play fiddle on a cigar box - Canray Fontenot

Author Topic: Unreleased Abner Jay  (Read 1411 times)

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
Unreleased Abner Jay
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
Social Music Records, a new label in a co-release with Mississippi Records is releasing "A 12" of previously unreissued recordings assembled by Jay Martin (who oversaw the A.J. releases on Mississippi) and licensed from Abner Jay's estate."

If you visit myspace.com/abnerjay some of these amazing unreleased tracks that come from super obscure 45's from tiny Atlanta labels in the 50's and 60's. Check out the pictures for some of the labels of these 45's.

socialmusicrecords.com
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline jostber

Re: Unreleased Abner Jay
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:37:26 AM »
Abner Jay was a wild one, this seems like a cool release.

Offline daveharrisonemanband

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:01:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing this! Looking forward to checking it out. Abner Jay is an unusual artist, part gospel, part folk, part soul and pure original!

Offline jostber

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline oddenda

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
Abner Jay recorded for Savoy in the late40s-the tapes had disappeared by the time I got to them via Joe Fields in the 70s/80s. Tunes listed in the Savoy discography by Ruppli/Porter. I heard him play in Atlanta one time somewhere in an Underground Atlanta trip. In the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different."

Peter B.

Tags: Abner Jay 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal