collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I think I saw some old man and he was real good on the guitar, on the chords, and he didn't sing that good, just play something like that, and I copied some of that and put the words to it. And Blind Blake used to have something kinda in that style. He would play in that style and I thought he was a real good guitar player. Nice chords. Played finger style. - Jesse Babyface Thomas explains how he wrote Blue Goose Blues, interview in Shreveport, La., ca. 1989

Author Topic: carl perkins ? popeye fan  (Read 1733 times)

Offline unezrider

carl perkins ? popeye fan
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »
hello friend,
i have been on a big kick of watching the early popeye theatrical shorts from the 30's. those fleischer era cartoons are just terrific. the weight variations in the lines on the characters. the backgrounds are superb. everything is so beautiful & stylized, & just a joy to watch again. & while watching one last night, (i believe) "protek the weakerist", popeye says while laying in to bluto, "one for the money. two for the show. three to get ready. four to go!" unless that was a common saying of sorts, it seems carl perkins must have been a popeye fan.
 8) go cat, go!
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: carl perkins ? popeye fan
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:52:52 PM »

I believe it's always been a well-known saying that probably has it's orgins in horse racing.

But I'm also perfectly willing to believe that Carl Perkins was a Popeye fan, like the rest of us.
  The Max Fleischer Studios that produced the Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons were the zenith of the animator's art.
  I've never tired of their stuff.

Genius!

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
Betty Boop is great, there are some good hot studio bands behind her as well  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline unezrider

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »
hello friend,
& don't forget all the art deco goodness of those superman shorts!

thanks for the horse racing bit, mike. didn't know that.
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal