collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Bedbug's big as a jackass, he will bite you and stand and grin. Drink up all the bedbug poison, come back and bite you again - Furry Lewis, Mean Old Bedbug Blues

Author Topic: New Acoustic Blues Club in the Northeast of England!  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Gingergeezer

New Acoustic Blues Club in the Northeast of England!
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:55 AM »
The Blues Lounge

The Blues Lounge is new blues club opening in the northeast. Started by two of the regions finest blues duos; The Hokum Hotshots (Jim Murray and Peter Mason) and Lee Bates and Billy and Newton along with Michael ?Fruit-Lips? Watson of the Last Gasp Spasm Band, the club aims to bring the finest blues performers from the UK, Europe and the USA to the Boldon Cricket Club, East Boldon.

The club has already hosted a few concerts from artists such as British blues legend Simon Prager to Doug MacLeod and Steve James from the US.

The organisers have decided to run the club on a monthly basis with shows held on the first Friday of every month starting on October 2nd with the fantastic Gordon Smith.
Once famously described by the great John Peel as the ?foremost white blues guitarist in the world? Gordon is a native of the northeast but has spent much of the last 40 years residing in London. Gordon?s northern gigs are infrequent and this is a rare chance to catch this truly staggering guitarist playing solo. Tickets are ?8 and are available from the Blues Lounge website: www.blueslounge.webs.com or by contacting Lee Bates on 07765634041.

Other shows feature performances from the wonderful Ray Stubbs and His Amazing One Man Blues Band (Nov 6th) and in December (4th) Gypsy Bill Williams and Del Potter. Gypsy Bill is a blues singer with a staggeringly soulful voice and is not to be missed!

Tickets for both of these shows are available from the website.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: New Acoustic Blues Club in the Northeast of England!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:19:25 AM »
Good luck with that Lee.  Pity you're about 300 miles away, otherwise I'd be there.  Say hello to Jim & Pete and Stubbsy.  You'd better get Prof. Scratchy down from north of the border as well.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Gingergeezer

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
Oh, I would imagine that the Prof and Snakehips will be down very soon after Christmas!

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »

With a name like Last Gasp Spasm Band, I had to look 'em up. Found this YouTube video.

But my main question is this: how did that guy get the nickname "Fruit-Lips"? Is he the jug player in the vid?

Lindy

Online Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »
....Fruitlips is a vegetarian, a source of much ribbing and hilarity from his pie eating buddies.... >:D

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
I did ask Snakehips once if his name related to his err, coughs... performance, but strangely never got a reply  ;)  Now Fruitlips, there could be more to that...
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »

I did ask Snakehips once if his name related to his err, coughs... performance, but strangely never got a reply  ;)  Now Fruitlips, there could be more to that...

By far my favorite foodstuff + body part nickname is "Jelly Jaw." I read somewhere that it came from a "nervous affliction" that made J.D. Short's jaw tremble, but there could be more to that...

Tags: