collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

You know if I don't go crazy, God knows, I believe I'"m gonna lose my mind. - Hammie Nixon, Yellow Yam Blues

Linked Events

• Bob Guida Music Celebration @ Jalopy: September 13, 2009

Author Topic: Bob Guida Music Celebration @ Jalopy  (Read 2183 times)

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
Re: Bob Guida Music Celebration @ Jalopy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
just a little nudge to the top since it's coming up this weekend.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
Mr, O'Muck will be in attendance. Frankie and I have been rehearsing some Big Bill pieces around the clock! :P
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »
Coincidentally listening to Bob sing Forty-Four right now. Wonderful.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »
Coincidentally listening to Bob sing Forty-Four right now. Wonderful.

I've been listening to an Otis Brothers CD that Bob put out on CD-R called "Heaven Sent The Rain."  It's just killing me exactly how powerful and generous a singer he was ("is," in my mind).

Frankie and I have been rehearsing some Big Bill pieces around the clock! :P

I'm actually rehearsing as I type this!  Amazing, I know.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »
I was also struck by what a nuanced and powerful singer he was when I heard him last. He was such a self effacing unpretentious guy that it was easy to not take him as seriously as he deserved to be taken. Pat on the other hand....

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »
I'm actually rehearsing as I type this! Amazing, I know.

Barber Moore could shave you and give you music while he was doing it, so you're following in a hallowed tradition of musical multitasking.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
The memorial went very well.  Pat played a video that he put together showing featuring pictures, songs and short videos clips of Bob.  Kim and I were late getting there, unfortunately (traffic!), and missed the acoustic part of the festivities.  We did get to hear the electric guys play - a bunch of the guys from Retrofret, got to hear Mamie Minch sing for the fist time, and a fine singer she is.

Bob's widow, Phyllis,  announced the establishment of a music scholarship for young musicians through Jalopy Theater and school of music in Bob's name.

It seems strange to say such a thing could be fun, but it was.  We got to meet Mr. O'muck - an extraordinary player and good dude.  We played out front of jalopy for a while - I swear that O'muck knows every lick Big Bill ever played and if he didn't play them, he makes it sound as if they might have been.  And if that wasn't enough, he uncorked some Rev. Davis and some Smokey Babe.

Smokey Babe!

All in all, it was a good time, although not without sadness.  The loss is still palpable, even after six months.  Bob really was a huge presence in the music scene out there and touched a lot of people through his music.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
It was a very heartfelt tribute to Bob, with much of his family including his Mother in attendance. Pat called me onto the stage early and I stumbled my way through Death Don't have no Mercy which is hard to get through on an occasion where there was an actual death. It did seem to provide a catharsis for some. It made me aware of the degree to which Gary Davis was playing music for a ritual purpose, something its easy to lose sight of.
Meeting Kim and Frank was a total blast. I doubt if the streets of Redhook have ever witnessed such a rapid fire fingerpicking serenade. Frank is right up there with the best of them and wears a metal thumbpick way up past his knuckle. He gave me quite a workout, my right shoulder still smarts. Sounds like he can play anything and make it sound just right. He and Kim did an outstanding version of the old spiritual Two Wings, one of Bob's favorites, that was the musical highlight of the evening. Frank sings 'bout as good as he plays which is saying something. Upon meeting them I told them that I felt we were having a computer date. Met right here on Weenie Campbell's lonely hearts club washboard scrubbing association. Kim's just the best damned blues fiddle player around. They are rarer than hen's teeth and she sounds as authentic as can be. Like having a good looking female Walter Vinscon in the room! What more could you ask for?

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the reports, gentlemen ..wish I could have made the trek .. I'd come to know Bob through my friends at Retrofret and enjoyed the time .. though brief .. I'd spent talking guitars with Bob, cracking jokes and watching him sing and play..and thanks for your contributions to his memory!  Regards, Tom

Tags: Bob Guida 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal