collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

The social ramble ain't restful. - Satchel Paige

Author Topic: Mike Seeger  (Read 1395 times)

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
Mike Seeger
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:27:15 AM »
In my mind's eye and ear, Mike Seeger is 1,000 feet tall:

http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/mike-seeger-to-hospice-care/

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Mike Seeger
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:28 AM »
In my mind's eye and ear, Mike Seeger is 1,000 feet tall

Amen. 

Mike was the guy who showed me that it's possible to play the jew's harp, rather than just getting odd sounds out of it.  Back in the day, I used to perform Mike's Old Gray Mare and Old Blind Drunk John with jew's harp a lot.

My favorite Mike Seeger quote: back in the early 70s when Mercury Records dropped him citing a vinyl shortage, Mike's reaction was "They should have dropped Rod Stewart instead.  He uses millions of pieces of vinyl.  I only use a few hundred."

May his last days be peaceful and pain free.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:07:54 AM »
Terrible news. If you had to choose one person to represent the whole range of American traditional music, played as close in sound and feeling to the originals as it is possible to do, on multiple instruments, that person would be Mike Seeger.
Its easy to be envious of how well he plays, but in his case I'm also envious of how well he HEARS!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
I`m very sad to hear this news.I`ve always admired Mike Seeger very much..the man and his music.
Lyndvs.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »
Just terrible news. I was fortunate to see Mike perform live last year when he passed through Seattle. He is a great musician and performer without a doubt, but when one considers his overall contributions to traditional American music and his influence, he is infinitely tall--and that may be an understatement.

At this point, I'm sure that there are a lot of people praying for a miracle--and I hope one happens. However, I think that Mike's life and all of the positive things he has done are a miracle--one that perhaps we didn't realize as it/they were taking place.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:45:14 AM by Stuart »

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:49:23 AM »
 Mr. Seeger is an American cultural treasure and a true hero. His contributions to the history, preservation and continuing evolution of what has become our traditional music are immeasurable. We will be forever in his debt for this.

If you haven't already, please go to the site Frankie posted and drop Mike a line.

Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
Very sad news.  :(

Here's Mike doing Henry Thomas's Fox and the Hounds earlier this year. Not every day you see this tune played.

Offline banjochris

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
I'm very sad to hear this too. Can't add much to what's already been said, except that I learned more about old-time banjo in one two-hour period with him and John Cohen back in 1993 at a festival in Bishop CA than I learned anywhere else.

Tags: Mike Seeger 

anything