collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know - Louis Armstrong, upon being asked to define 'jazz'

Author Topic: Louie Bluie  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Louie Bluie
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
Received the DVD in the mail today. Watched the supplements that were not in the original. Next up is the film with the director's commentary.

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 12:49:47 AM »
Curses.
Not available via Amazon.co.uk.
I suppose those of us on this side of the pond will just have to wait a while longer.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »
I received mine a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.  I had seen portions of the videos in Port Townsend - so it was nice to view the whole thing.  I really enjoyed the directors comments and it gave me (in light of the rumors surrounding aspects of Armstrong's possessions) new appreciation adn insight into what Zwigoff has done.  A well done glimpse into a life/lifestyle/era ...gone by.  highly recommended.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:12:31 AM by Slack »

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:03:22 AM »
Coincidentally, I came across the following comments from Howard Armstrong about the film in the Yank Rachell biography, Blues Mandolin Man. Howard sounds a little peeved. Makes me think Zwigoff probably did his job well.

"When they made that movie, Yank and I would take a break and pass the time. We sittin' around, you know, at the lodge where we'd be staying, teasin' each other, you know. As a matter of fact I'm gonna tell ya something. This guy Terry Zwigoff, who filmed the thing -- a lot of things I would not have said in the movie if I'd known he was doing that. He would keep of creep up on us settin' around chewing the fat, you know, lettin' our hair down, using all kind of language that I wouldn't do in real nice society. And he just put it all down on tape."

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 08:51:18 AM »
Yep, there are some extra outtakes that are included on the DVD. 

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »
Musical or scatological?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »
 :D

Both.  Howard tells a dirty story using "salty" language.

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:55:16 AM »
It's one of them there para-doxies. Louie Bluie is really entertaining and does give insights into a lot of aspects of the country blues/Jim Crow life that we're all interested in. But it is also a classic example of a filmmaker presenting images that he wants to present, and that do not always jibe with the way things were.

Some of you remember that when we heard the news that Howard had passed--it was during the Port Townsend workshop--we came together as a group up in the Juke for a memorial session, and those who had Howard stories to tell shared them. I distinctly remember two members of the faculty that year talking a bit about the film and Terry Zwigoff. Both of them had toured with Howard as part of his band, and both had strong and negative opinions of the film and filmmaker. It's still worthwhile to watch the vid (especially the scene where Yank Rachell dives into a bucket of KFC), but you need to challenge the images that you see.

In an earlier post someone mentioned the film "Sweet Old Song," which shows another side of Howard that Zwigoff missed. I highly recommend watching them back-to-back. (Among many other highlights, look for my bald head sitting next to Dewey Anich in the back of the Ft. Worden classroom where Howard was holding court.) For a while the film was available for online viewing via a link from pbs.org to "POV". That was a while back, I don't know if it's still up.

Lindy

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
I agree. It's one filmmaker's take on things. IMHO, it's entertaining to be sure, but should not be taken as a fair or comprehensive portrayal of the people involved.

I really enjoyed "Sweet Old Song." It's available on DVD:

http://www.leahmahan.com/films/sweet-old-song

and a few extra links:

http://www.leahmahan.com/category/sweet-old-song

http://www.pbs.org/pov/sweetoldsong/

http://www.pbs.org/pov/sweetoldsong/interview.php