collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hurt would introduce 'Coffee Blues' by declaring that his favorite coffee was Maxwell House because it was 'good till the last drop.' This is the kind of song that comes with a wink and a nudge. At the Gaslight, the mug Hurt would bring to the stage was not filled with coffee, but with a spot of whiskey. - John Milward, notes from Mississippi John Hurt, The Complete Studio Recordings

Linked Events

• Suzy T. Blues Fid Workshop, NY: March 29, 2009 - March 03, 2009

Author Topic: Blues Fiddle Workshop w. Suzy Thompson, NYC, Sun. Mar. 29, 2009 - 10 am til noon  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Sun. March 29 at 10 am til noon, in Manhattan (near 21st St. & Fifth Ave.) -- BLUES FIDDLE WORKSHOP with Suzy Thompson (known here as "Cleoma").  As I do at Blues Week in Port Townsend, I'll concentrate on the pre-war blues fiddle style that spilled over into oldtime and Cajun music, and was a crucial element in the development of bluegrass fiddling.  In this 2
hour workshop, I'll teach instrumentals from the repertoire
of the great pre-war blues fiddlers like Mississippi Sheiks, Eddie
Anthony, Arthur Smith, Clifford Hayes, Wade Fruge, etc.  We'll
explore the elements of early blues fiddle style:  tonality, slides,
phrasing, etc.  Depending on level and interest of the students, we
might also explore "how to construct a blues fiddle solo"; backing up
vocals; how to play blues in any key; hillbilly (pre-bluegrass)
blues;  Cajun blues.  This workshop is geared to intermediate-advanced
players, but beginners can benefit from this workshop too.  Everything will be taught by ear, no written music; we'll sing phrases and then play
them over and over to get them into your brain (and fingers!).  Please
DO bring a recording device, but please, no video cameras. Tuition is
$60 and requires advance registration.  For more information, or to register, please email Jon Vesey:  jon@secondfiddles.com

My husband Eric is a great bluegrass guitarist and also is a wonderful teacher.  He will be giving a flatpicked guitar workshop in the afternoon from 2 to 4 -- Complete info is here:  http://www.ericandsuzy.com/workshops.htm Maybe some of you Weenies want to try something different from the ever-fascinating blues fingerpicking!!

We'll be doing a gig that night at the Jalopy Theater in Brooklyn, a triple bill:  Del Rey, Eric & Suzy Thompson, and the Second Fiddles (Jon Vesey's group).

Offline Flatd7

• Pre War Blues, Country, Bluegrass & Gospel Music
I'm very excited about this! Pass on the word to all your friends. The Flatpicking workshop will actually start at 1PM though. Hope you can join us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal