collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I die, don't bury me at all, just cremate me honey, 'cause I wants my ashes hauled - Steve James, Will and Testament Blues, American Primitive

Linked Events

• Blues Fiddle Workshop w. Suzy Thompson, NYC, Sun: March 29, 2009 - February 03, 2009

Author Topic: Blues Fiddle Workshop w. Suzy Thompson, NYC, Sun. Mar. 29, 2009 - 10 am til noon  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Sun. March 29 at 10 am til noon, in Manhattan (near 21st St. & Fifth Ave.) -- BLUES FIDDLE WORKSHOP with Suzy Thompson (known here as "Cleoma").  As I do at Blues Week in Port Townsend, I'll concentrate on the pre-war blues fiddle style that spilled over into oldtime and Cajun music, and was a crucial element in the development of bluegrass fiddling.  In this 2
hour workshop, I'll teach instrumentals from the repertoire
of the great pre-war blues fiddlers like Mississippi Sheiks, Eddie
Anthony, Arthur Smith, Clifford Hayes, Wade Fruge, etc.  We'll
explore the elements of early blues fiddle style:  tonality, slides,
phrasing, etc.  Depending on level and interest of the students, we
might also explore "how to construct a blues fiddle solo"; backing up
vocals; how to play blues in any key; hillbilly (pre-bluegrass)
blues;  Cajun blues.  This workshop is geared to intermediate-advanced
players, but beginners can benefit from this workshop too.  Everything will be taught by ear, no written music; we'll sing phrases and then play
them over and over to get them into your brain (and fingers!).  Please
DO bring a recording device, but please, no video cameras. Tuition is
$60 and requires advance registration.  For more information, or to register, please email Jon Vesey:  jon@secondfiddles.com

My husband Eric is a great bluegrass guitarist and also is a wonderful teacher.  He will be giving a flatpicked guitar workshop in the afternoon from 2 to 4 -- Complete info is here:  http://www.ericandsuzy.com/workshops.htm Maybe some of you Weenies want to try something different from the ever-fascinating blues fingerpicking!!

We'll be doing a gig that night at the Jalopy Theater in Brooklyn, a triple bill:  Del Rey, Eric & Suzy Thompson, and the Second Fiddles (Jon Vesey's group).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:48:28 PM by Slack »

Tags: fiddle  workshop 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal