collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

It is absurd to have a hard and fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read. - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Author Topic: Weenie Juke Radio Changes/Additions  (Read 66037 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Weenie Juke Radio Changes/Additions
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
Added Today:

Lightnin' Hopkins - Country Blues

Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin' Hopkins

Snooks Eaglin - Country Boy Down In New Orleans

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »
Added Today:

Ledbelly - Midnight Special: The Library of Congress Recordings, Volume 1

Snooks Eaglin - New Orleans Street Singer [Reissue]

Tampa Red - Complete Works Vol. 5 (1931-34)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »
Added Today:

Lightin' Hopkins - All The Classics 1946-1951: (JSP 5 Disk Set)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »
Added Today:

The Hokum Boys - Complete Recorded Works, Vol. 1

Various Artists - Rare Country Blues Complete Recorded Works Vol. 3 1928-1936

Various Artists - Traveling Through The Jungle

Various Artists - San Antonio Blues 1937

And some notes from dj on two of the CDs:

Rare Country Blues Volume 3:  The complete works of Kid Cole, Bob Coleman, Walter Coleman, and the Cincinnati Jug Band.  Kid, Bob, and Walter may all be the same person, or they may be two people who sound very similar (brothers?)  There's lots of good music here in many different configurations -vocal and guitar, vocal harmonica and guitar, vocal and 2 guitars, jug band instrumental, etc.  That may be Jesse James on piano on the second version of Mama Let Me Lay It On You and Carry Your Good Stuff Home.  The CD also features the work of two Atlanta-area 12-string players, Billy Bird and Too Tight Henry (Henry Lee Castle), the latter sounding very Willie McTell-ish on Charleston Contest, Parts 1 & 2.

San Antonio Blues 1937:  Three Texas pianists and a small band, all recorded in San Antonio in 1937.  Big Boy Knox is a basic pianist but a wonderful vocalist, kind of like a lighter-voiced Jesse James.  Son Becky does a couple of nice mid-tempo blues with his piano and a chording guitar, then kicks it into gear with the addition of a washboard for three rollicking up tempo numbers.
Pinetop Burks recorded his first number with Son Becky's guitar and washboard accompanists.  It's a 1930's Hokey Pokey: "Stick your right foot out, stick your right foot in, now shake the shack".  After that he records solo, demonstrating a good singing voice and the most virtuoso playing of the three pianists here.  Rounding out the disk are six songs by Ted Mays & His Band, a small group that's in the intersection of jazz, blues and pop.  Their first song is Gee, It Must Be Love, which will be better known to most Weenies from Willie McTell's 1940 version for the Library of Congress.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »
I see that with the latest additions, there are now over 12,000 songs on the Juke.  Two years ago, when I first discovered Weenie Campbell, there were just over 2,000.  That's quite an amazing increase.  A hearty thank you to everyone responsible for this!

To put this number in perspective, you could listen to the Juke 24 hours a day for 25 days and never hear the same song twice.   

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2006, 09:46:30 AM »
To put this number in perspective, you could listen to the Juke 24 hours a day for 25 days and never hear the same song twice.

Yes, were it not for the Mad Requester...

:-X

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »
Added Today:

Sleepy John Estes - The Legend of Sleepy John Estes

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2006, 12:07:59 PM »
Added Today:

I'd definitely recommend this one to fans of Sleepy John Estes. Tracks are about 2/3 ensemble tunes featuring John "Knocky" Parker on piano, Ed Wilkinson on bass, and Sleepy John's old buddy Hammie Nixon on harmonica. The solo tracks are very interesting to hear since he so often played with other people and I really like them. As usual, I suspect SJ's simple sounding accompaniment might be difficult to duplicate. "Someday Baby", "Death Valley Blues", "Down South Blues", and "Milk Cow Blues" are solos.  Singing is tremendous throughout. This was his first record after rediscovery I believe, and I'd wager anyone present was thinking "Holy crap! Is this cool or what?"

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2006, 12:33:40 PM »
Added Today:

I'd definitely recommend this one to fans of Sleepy John Estes. Tracks are about 2/3 ensemble tunes featuring John "Knocky" Parker on piano, Ed Wilkinson on bass, and Sleepy John's old buddy Hammie Nixon on harmonica. The solo tracks are very interesting to hear since he so often played with other people and I really like them. As usual, I suspect SJ's simple sounding accompaniment might be difficult to duplicate. "Someday Baby", "Death Valley Blues", "Down South Blues", and "Milk Cow Blues" are solos.  Singing is tremendous throughout. This was his first record after rediscovery I believe, and I'd wager anyone present was thinking "Holy crap! Is this cool or what?"
Yeah great, compiled from sessions held 24 March, 3 & 4 June 1962..."Got rats in my kitchen I believe I'll get me a mountain cat"...that image has never left me.

He recorded several times between 1948 and 1952 (check out Stefan's Estes pages) but in the meantime see below:

V/g with Hammie Nixon, hca; washtub b.      Chicago, 1948

Harlem bound        Barrelhouse LP 04, St. George LP 1001
Stone blind blues   Barrelhouse LP 04, St. George LP 1001
(Recorded for Ora-Nelle Records.)

V/g.            Memphis, 5 Apr 1952

Rats in my kitchen   Sun unissued
Burial insurance blues   unissued
Runnin? around   unissued

V/g with Lee Crisp, hca/wb      Memphis, 24 Apr 1952

Registration day blues   Charly(E) LP 30101, Sun(E)    BOX 105
tk. 1      Policy man     Sun(E) CD 38, BOX 7
tk. 2      Policy man (Burial insurance blues)   Sun(E) BOX 105
        Rats in my kitchen   Sun(E) BOX 105
tk. 1      Runnin? around   Sun(E) BOX 7
tk. 2      Runnin? around   Sun(E) BOX 105

V/g with Hammie Nixon, v -1/hca; Eddie Boyd, org -2.      Chicago, c. 1960

Worry my mind    Bea & Baby unissued 
Shady Lane blues    unissued
Old twist    unissued
So long, hate to see you go -1    unissued
Low down dirty shame -1    unissued
Poor John?s lawyer    unissued
I got a sweet little woman    unissued
Brownsville Sheriff    unissued
How many more years -1,2    unissued
Cadillac baby    unissued
Everybody got to change sometime    unissued
Things ain?t goin? on right    unissued
Lay my burden down    unissued
Spirit don?t leave me -1    unissued

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »
I've added it to my shopping list, thanks guys.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »
Thanks for the correction, BH. Should look before I leap. Although I don't see those issued titles listed on Stefan's page, but could be missing them - it's late!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »
Thanks for the correction, BH. Should look before I leap. Although I don't see those issued titles listed on Stefan's page, but could be missing them - it's late!
The Ora Nell recordings can be seen either on the 1974 Barrellhouse LP (Chicago Blues) or the 1983 St George compilation (Chicago Boogie 1947).

The Sun recordings are listed in the Charly 9 LP box set (1985). This was rejigged as a CD set in 1996, which Stefan also lists. Unfortunately Charly fell foul of MCA over the inclusion of Sun recordings that were originally licensed to, and released by, Chess (e.g. Dr Ross, Jackie Brenston etc) - all stocks of the CD box set had to be withdrawn and destroyed. Why Chess never took this action with the LP box set remains a mystery, but those who managed to purchase the CD set have a minor "collector's item".

But there I go again, running off at the mouth with matters inconsequential to the original post.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2006, 09:17:49 AM »
But there I go again, running off at the mouth with matters inconsequential to the original post.

Nothing you have ever said has been inconsequential, BH--nor IMHO will it ever be. We all greatly appreciate your vast knowledge, keen insights, and extremely high level of erudition. Keep at it.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:18 AM »
Nothing you have ever said has been inconsequential, BH--nor IMHO will it ever be. We all greatly appreciate your vast knowledge, keen insights, and extremely high level of erudition. Keep at it.
Lordy, Stuart spare my blushes. ;D As for my being erudite, you must be mistaking me for somebody else. Paul Oliver, now there's erudition if ever I knew it....a conversation with him is similar to listening to a spoken blues dictionary!

I'll keep on keeping until such time as I'm told to "cease and desist". :)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »
Added Today:

Black Boy Shine & Black Ivory - Complete Recorded Works (1936-37)

Whistlin' Alex Moore - Complete Recorded Works (1929-51)

Various Artists - Boogie Woogie and Barrelhouse Piano Vol 2 (1928 - 1930)

Some notes from DJ:

Black Boy Shine and Black Ivory King:  Complete Recorded works.  Two singing pianists.  Black Boy Shine (Harold Holiday) recorded in San Antonio in 1936 and Dallas in 1937, Black Ivory King (Dave Alexander) recorded in Dallas in 1937.

Whistlin' Alex Moore:  Complete Recorded Works.  Another  singing pianist from Texas.  Recorded in Dallas in 1929 (with Blind Norris on guitar when present), 1937 (Andrew Hogg or possibly Blind Norris on guitar), 1947, and 1951 (possibly Smokey Hogg on guitar).  Moore wrote and sang some very interesting lyrics.

Boogie Woogie and Barrelhouse Piano.  A bunch of pianists, mostly from Chicago, and mostly recorded in Chicago, 1928 - 1930.  Bob Call (with James "Boodle-It" Wiggins on vocals), Raymond Barrow, Blind Leroy Garnett (Wiggins and Marie Griffin on vocals), Unknown (Wiggins again on vocals), Romeo Nelson, Rudy Foster, and Piano Kid Edwards).

anything