collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know - Louis Armstrong, upon being asked to define 'jazz'

Author Topic: Weenie Juke Radio Changes/Additions  (Read 65485 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Weenie Juke Radio Changes/Additions
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »
Back then it was thought that BBB was the guitarist but over the years there seems to have been a change of opinion and said guitarist now appears in B&GR4 as "unknown".
The electric guitar certainly sounds like Big Bill.  And there are some shouts in the background of several songs that are unmistakably by Big Bill.  I suppose it could be George Barnes on guitar with Broonzy visiting in the studio and adding a bit of vocal encouragement.    Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone but Broonzy and Barnes who got that sound at that time.
In 1996 when Chris Smith published his BBB sessions discography (Hit The Right Lick) he left Broonzy as a possibilty. I guess this was because Broonzy was in the studio that day taking part in Jazz Gillum and Washboard Sam sessions - as was George Barnes. Smith's other listed possibility for the guitar player is Willie B James.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2006, 11:59:53 AM »
That's interesting.  I don't think of Willie B. James as sounding particularly like Broonzy and Barnes.  I guess I'll have to go home and dig out some CDs with Willie B. on guitar and do some listening.  That's one thing I like about the Weenie Campbell School of Music: you get interesting homework.   ;)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2006, 05:53:20 PM »
Added Today:

Jimmie Gordon - Complete Recorded Works Vol 1 (1934 -1936)

Washboard Sam - Complete Recorded Works Vol 1 (1935 -1936)

With some history and listening notes from DJ:

Jimmie Gordon: Complete Recorded Works, Volume 1 - I don't know a lot about Jimmie Gordon, and I guess not a lot is known about him.  He was the pianist in Bumble Bee Slim's band off and on for at least a few years in the 1930s  The track "I'll Take You Back" was recorded with a 6 piece band at a Bumble Bee Slim session in September 1935, seven months before the Harlem Hamfats debuted their "large band" sound.  Interestingly, for someone who was a piano player in someone else's band, Gordon didn't play piano on all his records.  Gordon, along with people like Bumble Bee Slim and Bill Gaither, was unfortunately forever tarred by Sam Charter's dismissal of his sound as being part of the "Bluebird Beat" and having a cookie-cutter, impersonal sound.  But like Slim and Gaither he was a good singer and an interesting lyricist who rewards a closer listen.

Washboard Sam:  Complete Recorded Works, Volume 1 - With Bill Broonzy on guitar on all tracks, and Black Bob on piano when present.  Since Johnm brought up groundhogs in the Lil' Son Jackson discussion the other day, I should point out that there's another groundhog here.  But unlike most of the songs involving groundhogs, where the animal is rooting in the singers back yard trying to get to his woman, Sam himself is the groundhog in "I'm A Prowling Groundhog", celebrating his ability to root around in other men's back yards.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2006, 11:41:12 PM »
Added Today:

Jimmie Gordon - Complete Recorded Works Vol 1 (1934 -1936)
With some history and listening notes from DJ:

Jimmie Gordon: Complete Recorded Works, Volume 1 - I don't know a lot about Jimmie Gordon, and I guess not a lot is known about him.  He was the pianist in Bumble Bee Slim's band off and on for at least a few years in the 1930s  The track "I'll Take You Back" was recorded with a 6 piece band at a Bumble Bee Slim session in September 1935, seven months before the Harlem Hamfats debuted their "large band" sound.  Interestingly, for someone who was a piano player in someone else's band, Gordon didn't play piano on all his records.  Gordon, along with people like Bumble Bee Slim and Bill Gaither, was unfortunately forever tarred by Sam Charter's dismissal of his sound as being part of the "Bluebird Beat" and having a cookie-cutter, impersonal sound.  But like Slim and Gaither he was a good singer and an interesting lyricist who rewards a closer listen.
FWIW in 1971 Tony Russell wrote 1500 words on Gordon and his era based upon his 78 collection in an attempt to drum up interest in an artist who, at the time, could only be heard on a German EP.

DJ: I could scan and post in the main forum if you so wish.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2006, 09:17:50 PM »
Added Today:

Robert Hill - Never Let The Same Bee Sting You Twice

Skip James - The Complete Early Recordings Of Skip James 1930

Various Artists - Play My Juke-Box 1943-54

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2006, 06:06:57 PM »
Added Today:

Carl Martin - Crow Jane Blues

Leslie Riddle -  Step By Step

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »
Added Today:

Jimmy Lee Williams - Hoot Your Belly

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2006, 07:49:08 PM »
Also Added Today:

Peg Leg Howell - The Legendary Peg Leg Howell (Testament Records 204)

Brooks Berry & Scrapper Blackwell - The Blues Of Brooks Berry And Scrapper Blackwell - My Heart Struck Sorrow (Bluesville 1074)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2006, 05:27:20 PM »
Added Today:

Various Artists - Blind Willie Johnson and the Guitar Evangelists (JSP, 4 CD Set)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2006, 08:51:08 PM »
Added Today:

Robert Curtis Smith - Clarksdale Blues (Bluesville 1064)

Henry Townsend - Tired Of Being Mistreated (Bluesville 1041)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2006, 06:18:44 PM »
Added Today:

Various Artists - Rev. Gary Davis and the Guitar Evangelists, Vol. 2 (JSP, 4 CD Set)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
Added Today (notes by dj):

Chicago Piano (1929 - 1936):  The complete recorded works of three (or possibly four) biographical mystery men - John Oscar (with piano accompaniment probably by Eddie Miller), Eddie Miller, Eddie Morgan (who may or may not be Eddie Miller), and George Noble.

Barrelhouse Piano Blues and Stomps (1929 - 1933):  The complete recorded works of three more biographical blanks - Herve Duerson, Turner Parrish and Kingfish Bill Tomlin.  If any Juke listeners are interested in piano solos, there are some excellent ones here, both from Duerson, who does some barrelhouse on "Avenue Strut" and "Naptown Special", then turns in a nice ragtime performance on "Easy Drag", and finishes with a waltz with some nice programmatic effects on "Evening Chimes Waltz", and from Parrish, who does some outstanding boogie and barrelhouse on "Trenches" and "Fives".

Georgia White - Complete Recorded Works, Volume 1:  An outstanding singer.  Decca's best-selling female "race" artist in the 6 years before World War II.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2006, 07:05:29 AM »
Added Today:

Bill "Jazz" Gillum - Key To The Highway (1935-1942)

John Lee Granderson - Hard Luck John

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »
And added later in the day:

Big Joe Williams - Classic Delta Blues

Reverend Gary Davis - From Blues To Gospel

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2006, 08:32:31 PM »