collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pack your golf bag, you've had your fun. I've found another man who's made a hole-in-one. - Mamie Smith, Golfing Papa

Author Topic: 2009 Blues Images Calendar  (Read 8220 times)

Offline SpikeDriver

• Howdy!
2009 Blues Images Calendar
« on: May 31, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »
Here is the CD line up for the new 2009 Blues Images calender:

http://www.bluesimages.com/

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:04:52 PM by andrew »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: 2009 Blues Images Calendar
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »
Thanks SD!

It's a must have!  :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:05:07 PM by andrew »

Offline CF

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »
 . . . A must-have. Thanks for the heads up.
So besides the Blake titles what are the new discoveries? I'm thinking the Paramount All-Stars test must be one . . . Are those cleaner versions of Tommy Johnson's tunes?
I got pretty excited for a moment when I read 'Worried Blues' by Lemon. Didn't recognize it at first. Then realized it must be what I know as 'Lemon's Worried Blues'. Darn.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:05:21 PM by andrew »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:50:26 AM »
I have a feeling that the Skip James "Mighty Good Leader" might be an alternate take. In 78 Quarterly Issue 6, under the rarest 78s section, there's a quote from Gayle Wardlow that two takes of that tune are known to exist.
Chris

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:52:11 AM »
The cover copy reads: "Two Newly Discovered Songs from 1932 by Blind Blake" and "Three Newly Discovered Songs by Blind Lemon Jefferson and others".  Since "Worried Blues" is the only Blind Lemon Jefferson song on the CD, it would seem that it must be one of the "Newly Discovered Songs".  Track 16 is listed as "Hometown Skiffle TEST!", where the "TEST!" (caps and exclamation point) would lead one to think that this is a new discovery.  Which leaves one song.  Chris may well be right about "Jesus Is A Mighty Good Leader", but you'd think that Skip James is a big enough name that a previously unissued performance by him would be mentioned on the calendar cover.  But...  There are two songs by Ben Curry listed.  Neither of them - "The Laughing Rag" and "Hot Dog" - is on Document's "Alabama Black Country Dance Bands", which contained Curry's extant recorded works when it came out 15 or so years ago, and neither song made it onto any of Document's "too Late, Too Late" volumes, nor onto "The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of".  So perhaps those are two of the five, which would seem to bump the "Hometown Skiffle" test from the list. 

At any rate, it all makes for some pleasant speculation.               

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »
Lemon's Worried Blues doesn't have any alt. takes listed in B&GR. So this must mean a "new" copy, e.g., better condition?

Cooljack

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »
looking forward to this, Especially the new blind black and himetown skiffle test

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
The reference to new Lemon material may mean the Paramount All Stars tracks where I believe Blind Blake is impersonating Lemon. See this thread:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=4284.0
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Cooljack

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
I used the Papa Charlie Jackson section of the Home Town Skiffle as my ring tone for a bit last year, oh how I did get some funny looks when my phone went off in crowded areas.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
At the risk of seeming a complete geezer Luddite, can someone explain to me how one gets a recorded piece of music to use as a ring tone? I have a cell phone, much to my surprise, and use it on occasion when I remember to turn it on or uncover it from the stack of mail that includes outrageous cell phone bills (Canada! not progressive on this front), but I have no clue as to how to add a ring tone. I am computer literate.  :P

Cooljack

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 12:32:21 AM »
it depends on the type really, there might be problems if its quite an old phone though most phones come with some sort of usb -> Phone cable and some software which lets you put music on, take photos off etc. And once you put music on there is (usually?) a way to set it as ringtone/text message sound.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »
Ah, this is probably the problem. My phone is pre-mp3 capable. Can do photos and video (I have lots of footage of the inside of my jacket pocket from bumping the phone) but not that. I thought it worked through the ring tones upload function somehow.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Hey as long as we're on the topic:
Can anyone recommend a really GOOD sounding phone that works with Verizon and pulls in signal in rural areas?

And this:

http://www.koreus.com/video/telephone-portable-mais-popcorn.html
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »
If you haven't already ignored the above video posting please ignore it retroactively. According to Snopes cell phones can't pop popcorn, though they can make the popcorn sterile (no...thats a joke...really).
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 03:17:03 AM »
Hey as long as we're on the topic:
Can anyone recommend a really GOOD sounding phone that works with Verizon and pulls in signal in rural areas?

And this:

http://www.koreus.com/video/telephone-portable-mais-popcorn.html

Didn't really know what you were on about, O' Muck, so I clicked on the link only to get this message:

"Cette page n'existe pas."

So I'm still none the wiser, but then again ignorance is bliss...

Et maintenant il me faut travailler...

"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal