collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

"A very highsounding name, and they were a pretty good group, but they just played things that didn't have any sense to them at all." - Columbia recording scout Frank B. Walker remembers the Leake County Revelers

Author Topic: Opinions on Fraulini Angelina 12-string  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
Re: Opinions on Fraulini Angelina 12-string
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
I'm not sure that the low-tuned sound is quite right for Rev. Davis's music, as Mr. O'muck pointed out - he usually tuned to pitch or even a little sharp.

I agree with that, but I like to play some Gary Davis tunes played on a low tuned 12 string, e.g Keep your Lamp, Let Us Get Together,etc.
Stefan Grossman has recorded also Gary Davis tunes on his low tuned Stella 12 string (Twelve Sticks, Don't Let My Baby Catch You Here,...)

Puts me in mind of Miss Bozo herself! Though I think she was cranked up to standard pitch. Sounds to me like you're in Georgia Bill mode. Is Bozo still alive and making guitars does anybody know?

I believe Bozo is still building guitars. There's a website, apparently not updated since 2006 :
http://guitars.net/Bozo.htm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »
Hi all,
For the benefit of curious cheapskates on dial-up, like me, what song did you play, frankie?  I try to keep an open mind about Rev. Davis on a 12-string guitar, but it has always seemed like a bad idea to me, especially with his approach to tuning.  I don't care where it's tuned as long as it's in tune.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
I played "I Decided To Go Down (In His Name)."  I think youtube just started supporting higher resolution videos, so that makes it even harder to view anything using dial-up.

I double up on the 3rd course instead of using an octave string, which de-jangles the 12-string sound a little.  That and tuning in the basement.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Who playeth in F like unto RGD I ask thee? ****in' NO ONE thats bloody who mate!

You got that right.  I like the gnarly stuff in F - the ragtime stuff is nice, but the crunchy ones are better.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Yes, YouTube's gone widescreen. More Frankie to love.  ;D That's quite a Steve Earle beard you got going there, Frank.

On a slightly more serious note, one thing that occurs to me re. personal preferences for RGD on a 12-string is that some stuff works better than other stuff. Less so the ragtime material, moreso the gnarly stuff. There was a tune I was listening to recently played by RGD on a 12 that I thought worked even better than on a six-string. Damned if I can remember what it was.  :(  One day, the brain cells will revive.

UB

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
I'm gonna crunch yez some Maple Leaf Rag one day soon,crunchy as ya wanna be, raggy too.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 07:41:09 AM »
That's quite a Steve Earle beard you got going there, Frank.

Who's Steve Earle?  A senator?  C'mon...  clearly, the beard has dual inspirations:  Claude Monet and Sam Chatmon.

There was a tune I was listening to recently played by RGD on a 12 that I thought worked even better than on a six-string. Damned if I can remember what it was.  :( 

Children of Zion on Rainbow Quest sounded pretty cool on 12-string.  I think he was tuned a little low there, too.  On the other hand, the performance is so intense that if he'd played it on a toy koto, it would have had much the same effect.

All getting off topic - what I meant to say a few posts back was that when I first started playing the Fraulini I bought, I stuck to things like McTell, Lead Belly and Jesse Fuller - some other stuff in there, and generally shied away from other material.  Over time, I did find other material that I felt comfortable with and, in the process, found out a little something about my own "voice," which was, y'know, pretty exciting (to me, anyway).

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »
Hi frankie,
Thanks for filling me in on the tune you played.  "I Decided to Go Down"--oof, that's a great piece!  I'll have to get on a computer where I can hear it.

Re what sounds good on a 12-string, I think lots of times, thumb lead stuff, like Leadbelly's version of "House of the Rising Sun", seems really flattering to the instrument.  Bill Jackson, who is being discussed over in discographies, had a really nice way with a 12-string.  He never seemed like he was knocking himself out, or attempting the musical equivalent of trying to fit five gallons of oil into a quart container, which can sometimes happen on the 12-string guitar.

As for playing in F, the only player I can think of with comparable command in that position to Rev. Davis would be Snooks Eaglin, but Snooks' time, harmonic approach, and sound are so different that there is almost no basis for comparison except to say that he and Rev. Davis are similarly strong at playing in F.
All best,
Johnm

anything