collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Well, it's just some lot of stuff that we made up and put in there - R.L. Burnside on the meaning of "Love is the Devil but It Won't Get Me"

Author Topic: Great Because....Important Because.....AAARRRGGGHHH!  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Great Because....Important Because.....AAARRRGGGHHH!
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
I hate the idea that something has value only because it prefigured something popular that came afterwards. There are many people who "like" the Blues because "Its the foundation of Rock & Roll!" This patronizing pat on the head to an infinitely richer body of work makes me want to puke. Its like the old trope of "Cezanne is great because he was the inspiration for Cubisim!" This overlooks the fact that Cezanne was a far greater painter than Picasso and achieved levels of profundity that were totally alien to the younger artist. It also has a mercantilian taint about it I.E. the earlier thing gave rise to something that makes money! Anyone else feel this way.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Great Because....Important Because.....AAARRRGGGHHH!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:50:09 AM »
Yeah, but Cubsim doesn't have that scratchy surface noise!

:D

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:52:19 AM »
POPS N' CLICKS BABY!

Cooljack

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »
yeah I hate these kinds of attitudes, people don't seem to realise that their work whether it be music or otherwise will some day be old, or if their fortunate enough be viewed as an "influence".

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:56:17 AM »
arena rock preceded hairmetal and they both suck. prewar traditional music is amazing.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
Hair metal? WTF is Hair-metal?!@#$%?!!

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
Hair metal is bad hard rock songs and cheezy power ballads from the 1980s and early 1990s that were performed by skinny white males who congregated at the Sunset Strip in L.A. and had enormous hair. This genre includes bands like Poison, Motley Crue, and Winger. Yuck!

I agree that it's stupid of people to claim that they like Blues because "it's the foundation of Rock 'N' Roll". I don't pretend to like music just because it's historically important. I don't like Bebop because I think it sounds disjointed and indirect; I don't understand what the musicians are trying to say. In fact, I'm annoyed when people say that they like Jazz, and then go on to mention Jazz artists who all became famous in the last half-century. What about Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Johnny Dodds? I like Jazz recorded in the 1920s and early 1930s, plus Django Reinhardt. People should delve deeper into things and decide what they like and don't like, and certainly shouldn't blindly say that they appreciate Blues without knowing anything about it. At the same time, it is possible that people who are fans of Rock 'N' Roll can be turned on to Blues via its connection to men like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and even the Dell-Vikings and other Doo-Wop groups, and eventually grow to be diehard Blues fans. In my case, upon finding out in high school that Led Zeppelin's "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Curly Hair" was a song they got from a man named "Sleepy" John Estes, I took a chance (buying an Estes disc) and it paid off. After that, I sought out other 1920s and 1930s Blues discs and grew to like the music more than Rock 'N' Roll.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 01:42:41 PM »
Altho' I've been a country blues fan for about 15 years I grew up listening to hard rock & metal. Please don't compare Motley Crue to Poison & Winger. Yep, they're all white, skinny rock musicians who had big hair but in the 80s there was a discernable difference between Crue & these cheaper versions. Motley might be this or that but they are the archetype that these other bands blandly copied . . . (pretty embarrassed I felt compelled to say that!  ;D). Hey can anyone guess one of my musical guilty pleasures?!
Blues as foundation of Rock has always bothered me. It's an issue with me if it gets in the way of a real appreciation of blues . . . but as the general population does not & will not love this music I guess the point's a shade moot. 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »
Anyone else feel this way.

Yes.

Please don't compare Motley Crue to Poison & Winger.

If I resist the temptation to compare them, does that preclude putting them all on the same rickety raft and hoping it sinks?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »
...certainly shouldn't blindly say that they appreciate Blues without knowing anything about it.

Well...  We were all in exactly that situation once, eh?   ;D

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:48:38 PM »
'If I resist the temptation to compare them, does that preclude putting them all on the same rickety raft and hoping it sinks?'

Ha ha, nope!   
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Bricktown Bob

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:40:28 PM »
Yes, yes, but isn't it nice that Little Walter made the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Offline NevadaPic

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »
Bricktown,

You know it man!  "Blues With a Feeling".  "I've gotta find my baby if it takes all night and day."

Pic   
If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one so don't be late...

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal