collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

So I'm gonna ask you to clap in rhythm. Don't become afraid. We know that old saying. I didn't ask you if you could play basketball, I just said clap in rhythm - Jerry Ricks, Saturday evening concert, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Other Musical Interests on YouTube  (Read 36913 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Other Musical Interests on YouTube
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2020, 02:19:52 AM »
Way off piste for a lot of bluesers, but if, like me, you also take an interest in other kinds of root music, this short film is charming. It features two brothers who go out under the name of Ye Vagabonds (I'm not too sure about that choice myself, but it's nothing to do with me). Their harmony singing is superb and they are both accomplished players of various string instruments. I think it's worth watching for the beautiful Irish scenery and down-to-earth feel of the whole affair. [Should you need more info., the film is called "Seven Songs on Six Islands" and is on YouTube.]

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:26:24 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Michael.  Those young fellows sing so well, it's a treat.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
RIP Betty Wright, who had a much longer and varied career than most people give her credit for.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/arts/music/betty-wright-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Obituaries

If anyone can find a better 5-note riff than the one on "Clean Up Woman," please point it out to me.

*Impossible* to listen to this without moving your body:

Lindy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:52:10 AM by lindy »

Offline Lignite

« Reply #303 on: May 11, 2020, 06:20:43 AM »
One of the authors of this famous song was the notorious Blowfly under his real name Clarence Reid.

Offline eric

« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2020, 09:02:40 AM »
First of all, that's a great track by Betty Wright.

Second, just when I thought I had a handle on eccentric outliers in American music, Lightning introduces me to Blowfly.  Wow.
--
Eric

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #305 on: June 22, 2020, 09:12:38 AM »
Hi all,
Mike Dowling forwarded a link to this video of him playing the Brazilian tune "Carinhoso" accompanied by me at Blues Week a number of years ago.  What an ace guitar player he is!

All best,
Johnm

Offline eric

« Reply #306 on: June 22, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
Nice one.  John, if memory serves, you did a duet at PT with Orville Johnson of an Ornette Coleman tune (I'm pretty sure it was his, anyway).  Is that one on a CD somewhere?
--
Eric

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #307 on: June 22, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
Hi Eric,
I'm glad you liked that.  Yes, Orville and I played Ornette's tune "Lonely Woman" a few years ago at Port Townsend.  We've never put that on a recording, and I hope we do some time.
All best,
John

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #308 on: July 05, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »
Hi all,
Here's one that is nominally from the Louvin Brothers, but it is really a solo feature for Ira Louvin.  What a voice!  I've always loved this song, "Cash On the Barrelhead":

All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
Hi all,
Speaking of singing, here is one from a young woman named Varijashree Venugopal, labeled simply John Coltrane "Giant Steps", Carnatic scatting #3.  I've never heard anything like this, for accuracy in every way, rhythm, pitch, inflection--whew!  To say nothing of memorizing that solo.  It's really unfathomable the things that humans can do, sometimes.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
What a study in contrast... Ha! 

Love the 'barrelhead' hook and the honky-tonk feel.

Wow, I'm thinking only an Indian could do this?... after listening to a lifetime micro-tonal sitar music??? I dunno... I'm a simpleton I think.  Astounding.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #311 on: July 05, 2020, 05:27:43 PM »
No, I think your question is a good one, John, and I certainly do not know the answer.  I just googled "carnatic singing--what is it?", and it is apparently an Indian Classical singing tradition from southern India.  Almost instantly, I was able to find on-line lessons in beginning Carnatic singing.  I think that the way it is taught, and that serious students of it are taught to hear, can result in incredibly accurate singing in terms of making pitches--but only after a great deal of work, practice and discipline, of course.  And like most other such endeavors, it probably doesn't hurt if you're gifted in the first place.  The fact that there is a discipline that can even potentially produce such results in more than one person is mind-boggling.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: July 05, 2020, 06:26:21 PM »
Yes, I had to do a little googling as well (after 10 minutes, I'm now an expert!).  It's associated more with violin than sitar.... her skill at doing this makes a little more sense.  These are compositions.  But Damn.  Can you imagine?

I was lucky enough to visit India for a few weeks, but never got further south than Hyderabad.  What a culture...  or cultures.  We walked past a sitar shop in Amritsar... really wanted to go in and buy one, but we had no host with us and were freaked out enough as it were... ha.

From what I read, this is a typical carnatic group... love the intent young woman, behind the lead singer, who is obviously an apprentice.

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #313 on: July 06, 2020, 01:03:00 PM »

Here's a version of Cash on the Barrelhead that I've enjoyed for years:

Offline Gmaj7

• Howdy!
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
No, I think your question is a good one, John, and I certainly do not know the answer.  I just googled "carnatic singing--what is it?", and it is apparently an Indian Classical singing tradition from southern India.  Almost instantly, I was able to find on-line lessons in beginning Carnatic singing.  I think that the way it is taught, and that serious students of it are taught to hear, can result in incredibly accurate singing in terms of making pitches--but only after a great deal of work, practice and discipline, of course.  And like most other such endeavors, it probably doesn't hurt if you're gifted in the first place.  The fact that there is a discipline that can even potentially produce such results in more than one person is mind-boggling.
All best,
Johnm

Carnatic refers to southern India in general; the other major distinction in Indian music is Hindustani (northern). The two different divisions tend to share a lot of thaats (scales, kind of, as I understand) but with different names. Hindustani music became more influenced by the Persia, whereas Carnatic is perhaps older and more untouched. (The current Tamil culture that exists to this day is very old; it's somewhat like going to Egypt and encountering Pharaohs).
India really is a continent rather than a country; it's diversity is staggering - having more native languages and even language groups than modern day Europe, for example.
It's hard for us to get insights into what really goes on in Indian music - I read an offhand comment by a contemporary of John Martyn that claimed he "learned the sitar in about 10 minutes". I think that reveals the depth of ignorance we had when the sitar came "onto the scene" in the 1960s. Learning the sitar is something that really takes decades, but I suppose back then in the west the bar was quite low and if you could pull of a pentatonic scale on an exotic sounding instrument a by stander might think you have "learned" the instrument!
If you're in India during the correct season then musical performances, sometimes which go all night, are not too inaccessible.
In Kochi there is a place when even during monsoon you can listen to a few hours of ragas for about $5 every night.
The thaat and raga system is something I still cannot get my head fully around - seemingly very constrained yet allowing great freedom within those constraints.

I'll take a moment to share my favourite performance, of Raag Bhairavi by Ali Akbar Khan:

If you have 51 minutes to spare, it's a staggering performance. Bhairavi is roughly Phrygian, but as you can tell there's more to it than just noodling around in Phrygian for almost an hour.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal