collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. But I'm right here to tell you the berries is just about all gone - Uncle Dave Macon, Uncle Dave's Travels Part 4

Author Topic: Soul Music  (Read 1874 times)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Soul Music
« on: October 29, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »
Along with country blues, jazz, and rhythm & blues, I love '60s soul music.

My favorite stuff comes from Stax Records down in Memphis....

Folks Like:

The Mar-Keys, Booker T. & The MGs, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, Eddie Floyd, Johnnie Taylor, Etc.

I also love The Motown Sound:

The Temptations, The Four Tops, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Smokey Robinson, The Jackson 5, The Supremes, Etc.

And finally, Nashville Soul is great too:

Rodge Martin, Ironing Board Sam, Big Amos Patton, Jimmy Church, Freddie North, Esquerita, Etc.

Have we any other lovers of soul here?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:31:05 PM by mississippijohnhurt1928 »

Offline outfidel

Re: Soul Music
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
+ Curtis Mayfield

8)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:45:47 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline unezrider

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »
hey calvin,
i too, love that memphis sound from stax. it's just so earthy. otis redding is a favorite of mine. sam & dave, booker t. & the mg's - it's just great stuff. steve cropper has some of the coolest playing on those songs. i love his preference double-note licks.
-chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »
Stax wasn't the only Memphis soul label with a great house band.  There was Hi as well.  Hi had been around since 1957, though it didn't really start attracting attention until the around 1970, when Willie Mitchell put together that great house band based around Howard Grimes and the Hodges brothers.  Everyone knows (or should know!) Al Green, but the Hi stable at the time also included Ann Peebles, Otis Clay, Syl Johnson, and O.V. Wright.  If you've never heard it, find a copy of Ann Peebles's "I Can't Stand The Rain" and find out just how good early 70s soul could be.

And, of course, any discussion of soul music must include mention of Mr. Dynamite, The Hardest Working Man In Show Business, Soul Brother Number 1, The Godfather Of Soul, James Brown.  In spite of all the hype, he was a pretty darned good singer, composer, organist, drummer, and band leader, who managed to keep up with the times (and sometimes lead them) for 25 years, until rap finally did him in.   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:40:33 AM by dj »

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »
Yep, I love 60's and 70's 'Deep Soul'. When you talk about Memphis soul you need to mention the Goldwax label and the amazing James Carr, who many refer to as the 'greatest soul singer ever'. While Stax had Steve Cropper, Goldwax had the great Reggie Young. And one of my very favorite soulmen was the great Arthur Alexander. Chicago soul is also great, Otis Clay on One-Derful and Syl Johnson on Twinight. From Nashville there was Shy Guy Douglas. You can't forget New Orleans, Aarron Neville, the Meters, Irma Thomas etc. There is a lot of wonderful stuff!!! There are also some great books on the subject. 'Sweet Soul Music' by Peter Guralnick, 'Soulsville USA' by Rob Bowman, 'It Came From Memphis' by Robert Gordon, 'I Hear You Knockin' by Jeff Hanna and 'Chicago Soul' by Robert Pruter. These are, IMHO, essential reading for any serious soul fan.  Great thread, lets keep it going...

RJ
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:03:21 PM by rjtwangs »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
I've been putting music from 1955 to 1963 on my iPod, so that's mostly what I've been listening to for the last few weeks.  It was an interesting period, not just for the birth of rock and roll but also for the transition of r&b to soul.

If you'd asked me before my rather intensive listening of the last few weeks to name the best male voices of the period, I would have said without hesitation Ray Charles and Sam Cooke.  But I find that there's another voice that makes me snap to attention every time I hear it:  Little Willie John.  Unfortunately, Little Willie recorded for King, and Syd Nathan was a firm believer in having his artists record songs for which he owned the publishing rights, so Willie ended up recording some rather bizarre stuff, plus the King arrangers gave him some truly dreadful string arrangements from time to time.  But his voice was always great and when he got a good song to work with, he was up there with the best.  Willie was a musical magpie, and you can often hear his influences: Roy Brown (especially on his earliest recordings), Sam Cooke (on "Talk To Me, Talk To Me"), Dinah Washington (!), and Little Richard, to name a few, but he put a stamp of originality and breathed a spark of life into everything he did.  

For a while, after Little Richard first left pop music to join the ministry, John toured with Richard's band, the Upsetters.  But King, to their lasting discredit, only let him record one track with the band, "Do You Love Me".  

Little Willie John was from Detroit, and grew up with Smokey Robinson and Lamont Dozier.  One can only wish he had had the opportunity to move to Motown to record some quality material with first-rate backing.  And, of course, that he had survived his prison time to record again in the late 60s.                  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:24:11 AM by dj »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
And lets not forget the prototype, Jackie Wilson! Also Howard Tate while we're at it.
Ever hear Etta James' single of "Security"? Oh boy an' out!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »

Like hard core soul? Listen to

http://www.wmpr901.com/

From Jackson, Mississippi.

It is NOT a "solid-gold, more-hits-more-of-the-time" soul station. Also, while it plays blues, it is not a blues station as the website claims. But it is down home, local, and funky.

Lindy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:31:06 AM by lindy »

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:47:43 PM »
Willie John's sister, Mabel John, recorded for Stax I believe.  Quite good too, but not as well known as her brother or many other Stax artists.

Dave

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 03:38:10 PM »
Willie John's sister, Mabel John, recorded for Stax

For Motown, too.  She released five or six singles from 1960 to 1963, if my memory is at all accurate.