collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Don't want no woman who wears a number nine. I wake up in the morning, can't tell her shoes from mine - Charlie Campbell, Going Away Blues

Author Topic: Columbia & Victor Piano Boogie Woogie & Blues  (Read 978 times)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Columbia & Victor Piano Boogie Woogie & Blues
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
The great Mosaic reissue label will be releasing a piano and boogie-woogie 3CD-set. The set is scheduled for a January 2008 release.

From their "Future Projects" page

Columbia and Victor Piano Boogie Woogie and Blues (3 CDs)
75 tracks from the Columbia and Victor catalogs of classic boogie woogie and blues piano from the rich period of 1935 to 1941. The sessions include piano solos, duets and trios to small group recordings and feature a range of diverse artists including Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis, Pete Johnson, Freddie Slack, Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, Kenny Kersey and Mary Lou Williams. The blues piano sides mostly feature the unique stylings of pianist and vocalist Jimmy Yancey with over a dozen Victor tracks. The rest of the set dovetails nicely with a slew of sides by vocalist Joe Turner who is accompanied by Pete Johnson, two all star bands led by Benny Carter and Joe Sullivan. Rounding out the set are rare sessions by one of Chicago?s great bluesmen, Cripple Clarence Lofton.

Info obtained via "J.A.W." (Of The BBF)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:30:52 PM by mississippijohnhurt1928 »

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Columbia & Victor Piano Boogie Woogie & Blues
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
Back in the days when Mosaic produced limited edition, numbered LP box sets I always made a point of ordering blues related ones; not only was the sound superb but the entire artefact an absolute treat...but they sure as hell weren't cheap!

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Columbia & Victor Piano Boogie Woogie & Blues
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »
Back in the days when Mosaic produced limited edition, numbered LP box sets I always made a point of ordering blues related ones; not only was the sound superb but the entire artefact an absolute treat...but they sure as hell weren't cheap!

Nope, I believe this one is 44 bucks!  :o

Tags: 1935-1941 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal