collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Willie Walker was the Art Tatum of blues guitar - Josh White to Paul Oliver

Author Topic: 6 String Banjos  (Read 14581 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: 6 String Banjos
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
Johnm

thanks for merging - I see there are quite a few 6 string banjo players here - I'd welcome their thoughts on a good instrument for playing blues & rag

thanks again
Paul

Paul - I don't have a particular instrument to recommend, perhaps others will, but would say that if you are looking at one of the new bargain brands to play them first if possible. I haven't been thrilled. Depends on your budget as well. Also may depend on sock placement under the head.

I personally like the sound of an open back.

Are you looking for a vintage instrument?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:22:53 AM by uncle bud »

Offline paulreso1

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 01:35:10 AM »
Hi unclebud, I prefer open back banjos & love the vintage instrument approach to playing. I guess I don't know if there are any compromises that going the vintage way leads to when thinking about banjos (I have a modern 5 string banjo, and a couple of vintage guitars)

Any help appreciated
Paul

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
Hi Paul - I'm far from expert. But I don't know that there would be compromises aside from the usual when dealing with vintage instruments: they can be cranky, might need repairs, set-up, new parts, can have action and intonation issues etc. Aside from the 6-string banjo threads here, you might want to look at http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »
Actually, due to the different body configurations, i.e., a thick ring of solid wood, with little asymmetrical string tension on the structure, verses a rather intricate thin-walled guitar body that takes quite a bit of tension, I think you will find far fewer "issues" with a vintage guitjo than a vintage guitar. Sure, frets need to be replaced, necks (and banjos have a longer neck) can warp, but the issues of cracks, top warping, bridges pulling up, etc., pretty much don't exist for the guitjo. Head torn? Install a new head. Not really such a big deal. And the neck is easily removed from the body for any necessary adjustments so a "reset" is hardly the deal it is with a flat top. Floating bridge makes intonation moot.

All in all, if you are already accustomed to dealing with a vintage guitar or two, I think you'll find less hassles with a vintage guitjo. Sure, there's a bit of a learning curve as you suss out the instrument, but it ain't rocket science.

Heck, I'm one to downplay the issues of a vintage guitar. Once you've dealt with the issues and made everything right, a vintage guitar is likely to be more stable than a new guitar. If you already know what I'm talking about then I don't think you should be worried about the issues of a vintage guitjo. Something needs fixing, you fix it.

Just rehashing what's been said earlier in the thread, but I'd go with a skin head if you can. And experiment with keeping the string tension as low as you can, either with very light strings, or by tuning low. I've seen some who tune standard to D and capo 2 to play with others. I mean, you got all those extra frets.-G- You need to find the right tension for the head to get the best tone and volume and it's very easy to choke the head with too much tension. Kinda the opposite of flat tops.

Wax
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:16:07 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline paulreso1

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »
Thanks Wax & all who have replied...I'm going to go explore some options now