collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Feel so bad, feel like a ballgame on a rainy day - Chuck Willis, I Feel So Bad

Author Topic: Joe Bussard movie -- identify this song?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline outfidel

Joe Bussard movie -- identify this song?
« on: June 08, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
Check out this outtake from "Desperate Man Blues", the documentary of record collector Joe Bussard.

Any idea what song is playing during this scene, or who is playing it? It sounds a little like Craig Ventresco.

Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Joe Bussard movie -- identify this song?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
Outtake it is. I scanned the DVD, including the credits and deleted scenes. It's not on the commercial release.

[edited to add it's quite possible someone got hold of the footage and put their own song over the top  8)]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 08:32:17 PM by Rivers »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
actually i think it's Joe playing the guitar w/ the mandolin player from his jug band. You can here him say "play that thing" etc.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 02:02:16 AM »
I have the DVD but don't remember that outtake either.

Sweet music though.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:01:38 AM »
Having just watched all the outtakes only a couple days ago, I don't recall this one at all, and would have remembered a 3 minute clip of Joe lying on the couch. This DVD is really quite wonderful, BTW. Highly recommended. You actually get 2 documentaries, Desperate Man BLues and King of the 78 Collectors, plus some photos, Son House footage, lots of outtakes, lots of stuff for your money.

Perhaps it is the song referred to at the end of the description below, 'Mandolin Blues':

Desperate Man Blues: Discovering the Roots of American Music : Soundtrack CD

Desperate Man Blues"This compilation, a soundtrack to the film of the same name, gives a nice sampling both of hardcore delta blues and a window into the passion of the documentary's subject, Fonotone Records founder Joe Bussard. Bussard was an avid collector of 78s and long a tireless seeker for what he called 'America's real music.' Some classic prophets of that music are represented hear, such as Lonnie Johnson, Son House, Blind Willie McTell, as well as true heavyweights like the Carter Family, Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton.

A collector always is rewarded by great finds the more the digs, and this set includes some obscure but raw and true tracks, like 'Paddlin' Blues' by Gitfiddle Jim and Uncle Bunt Stephens' 'Sail Away Ladies.' Bussard himself contributes a song, the swirling 'Mandolin Blues.'

Offline outfidel

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
Dust-To-Digital responded to my question thusly:

The song is "Black Jack Drag" by Two Black Jacks. The recording features Bob Coltman on mandolin and Joe Bussard on guitar and vocal. Recorded on March 15, 1965 and originally issued on a 78 rpm acetate as Fonotone 6517, the track was reissued in 2005 as part of the Fonotone Records box set.

I had looked into that Fonotone box set when it was released; now I'll probably pull the trigger & buy it
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 11:20:23 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Tags: Joe Bussard 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal