collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I don't know much, but what I know, I _really_ know - Alice Stuart, Port Townsend 99

Author Topic: Quote Drive 2007  (Read 13072 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Quote Drive 2007
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2007, 07:23:57 AM »
I don't have an actual copy of the original article from which this quote is sourced (Steve James "Texas Blues" Blues Revue #30 Aug/Sept 1997), as I found it in the issue of Black Music Research Journal Vol 20 No. 1 devoted to Blind Lemon Jefferson (for which I believe I thanked Bunker Hill for the tip, but if not, many belated thanks). This almost sounds like it could be a Steve James quote. ;D Don't know where Steve got it but would be curious to know.

"I can't see ya, but I can smell ya!" - Blind Lemon Jefferson quoted by Steve James, "Texas Blues" Blues Revue #30 Aug/Sept 1997
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:25:18 AM by uncle bud »

Offline lindy

• Global Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 08:27:02 AM »

"I don't play by alphabet."

--Robert Belfour, in response to a PT05 question on what note he was playing.

Offline LusciousLucy

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
?Most blues begin with 'Woke up this mornin'.....' This is to differentiate blues musicians from most other musicians, who sleep past noon."

the Rooster (cit. from http://www.bluesdatabase.com/)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »
As far as singing goes, I wanted to do something new and have a style that wasn't too common.  I was inspired by the records of Jimmie Rodgers, a white singer of that time.  He was called the 'yodeling singer' because he would sing some parts in a head voice, like the Swiss yodelers.  I took that idea and adapted it to my own abilities.  I couln't do no yodelin' so I turned to howlin'.  And it's done me just fine - Howlin' Wolf

From Cambio's post in the Jimmie Rodgers thread

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 04:23:47 AM »
I love my girl like a schoolboy loves his pie. Like a Kentucky white man loves his rock & rye. I love my girl until the day I die - Jim Jackson, St Louis Blues, 1930

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
We knows nothing much about the blues... we called it blues, we called it breakdowns, we called it blues and some people say it's square dances...  We didn't know what it was; the achin'-hearted blues is slow, breakdowns is fast.  Percy Thomas, who played in the Son Simms Four with Muddy Waters, interviewed by Paul Oliver, from Blues Off The Record.   

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2007, 03:50:10 PM »
Hi all,
Here's one from Bill Williams, turning down the opportunity to partake in a crab feast:  "What, is that like a crawdad?"
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2007, 03:10:32 AM »
Some nice ones from the Mitch Holder in Mel Bay's Interviews With The Jazz Greats. This slim volume of 27 collected articles is a fun read if you dabble with jazz guitar. Mitch Holder talks a lot of musical sense:

My motto is; if you don't hit some 'wrong' notes once in a while you're not trying hard enough - Mitch Holder on playing live, Interviews With The Jazz Greats

On one cue he said "Mitch, why don't you say this", and played what he wanted on the piano. I never heard that expression from anyone else except him; and what it said to us was how much he respected us, which was an incredible feeling from someone like that, who we all gave the utmost respect - Mitch Holder on working with composer Dave Grusin on the movie soundtrack On Golden Pond, Interviews With The Jazz Greats
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 06:02:40 AM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2007, 06:01:36 AM »
Willie McTell quotes from the Crapshooter thread:

I'd jump 'em from other writers, but I'd 'range 'em up my way - Willie McTell, intro to Beedle Um Bum, Last Sessions

I had to steal music from every which a way to get it... to get it to fit - Willie McTell, intro to The Dyin' Crapshooter's Blues, Last Sessions

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »
"If you steal my wife and stay out late, I'll have to take my knife and operate."- Rosco Gordon

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2007, 09:35:46 AM »
"She was really an ugly woman...but when she opened her mouth - that was it! You forgot everything. She knew how to sing those blues, and she got right into your heart. What a personality she had. One of the greatest of all singers." - Champion Jack Dupree on Ma Rainey, ("Ma Rainey and The Classic Blues Singers" - Derrick Stewart-Baxter.)

"You see, she liked these young musicians, and in comes John Work and I - we were young to her. We were something sent down, and she didn't know which one to choose. Each of us knew we were not choosing her! We just wanted to talk, but she was interested in other things." - Sterling Brown on Ma Rainey, ("Ma Rainey and The Classic Blues Singers" - Derrick Stewart-Baxter.)

"The people screamed, she was that ugly." Ruby Walker commenting on Ma Rainey's entrance during a live performance. ("Bessie" - Chris Albertson.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:50:22 AM by Great Bear »

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »
"I'll blow your mother fucking head off"
-Robert Lockwood Jr's response to record executives trying to cheat him out of his money

(Now, I read this a while ago somewhere, don't remember where, but it sounds like robert  ;D :P)

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2007, 04:26:53 AM »
Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music (BBC) is a treasure trove of quotes, albeit from various sources:

"It was just before I went into the army about 40, 42 I think, I heard of a guy called T-Bone Walker and that was the first electric guitar I'd ever heard...and I went crazy, I went completely nutty...I think that he had the clearest touch of anybody I'd ever heard on guitar then." B.B King on T-Bone Walker

"I sing city blues...My style of singing has nothing to do with the part of the country I come from. It comes from my soul within. The heartaches and the things that have happened to me in my life - that's what makes a good blues singer." Lonnie Johnson

"I didn't like the way he sang. He was my brother, but he just had a way (Sings) 'Saddle up my pony, hook up my black maaaaare...' I didn't like that!...Now he picks good, but he just brings that song out, like there's somebody choking to death." Sam Chatmon on Charley Patton

"I don't know what brought on the Depression...I didn't feel so depressed for I didn't have a thing to start with." Georgia Tom Dorsey

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
"I don't want this ever published while I'm alive,because if I did get any money for it, I would just drink myself to death."
-Blind Willie McTell On His 1956 Recordings

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
Hey, is there somewhere we can see all the quotes?
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Tags: quotes 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal