collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Always keep your hat on. You know back in those days there was quite a lot of jealous guys in the audience and sometimes you have to run. But, If you got your hat on your head and you have to run, you know you left the house with it - Mississippi John Hurt giving advice to Archie Edwards

Author Topic: "Jazz Information" record reviews  (Read 1013 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
"Jazz Information" record reviews
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:59:59 PM »
I just stumbled across a website here http://home.att.net/~joeshepherd/main.html which contains scans of a magazine called Jazz Information that was published from mid 1939 through late 1941.  It was apparently put out by a bunch of recent college grads who were interested in "hot jazz".  For most of its life, Jazz Information was a four page weekly.

What might interest the more historically-minded Weenies are the record reviews that Jazz Illustrated published.  Real jazz artists got a short paragraph or two, but each issue reviewed a few (the average seems to be about three) records by what we'd call blues artists today.  These blues artists tended to be from the Chicago mainstream - Big Bill Broonzy, Georgia White, Jimmie Gordon, Walter Davis, Ollie Shepard, Sonny Boy Williamson and the like - and they generally get one or two sentence reviews.  Here's a typical one:

SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON (BB 8333)
Good Gravy -- T. B. Blues.

This blues singer, accompanying himself on harmonica and with guitar and piano, sings the T. B. Blues - "Oh, T. B. killin' me; I want my body buried way down in Jackson, Tennessee" -- as if he meant it. He seems to get as much pleasure out of the coupling, which is a bit of jive done to the tune of "Mama Don't Allow"; but we can't follow him.

I think these reviews are interesting for several reasons.  It's interesting to see what contemporary listeners thought of the music.  And the late 1930s/early 1940s Chicago sound was so maligned by various writers in the 1960s and 1970s that it's interesting to see a bunch of young hipsters, into the hottest music of the day, devoting some of their attention to these artists.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal