collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

Author Topic: Trumpet player in Oscar Woods' 1938 session  (Read 1170 times)

LoneWolf

Trumpet player in Oscar Woods' 1938 session
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
Who is he?

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Trumpet player in Oscar Woods' 1938 session
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
I think this is about the session:

Oscar "Buddy" Woods did not record again until made a trip to New Orleans to make some solo records for Decca on March 21, 1936. One of these recordings was of Woods' signature tune, "Lone Wolf Blues", and another his first recording of "Don't Sell it- Don't Give it Away". These did so well in the race record market that Jimmie Davis took a renewed interest in the Shreveport Home Wreckers. By the time Woods returned to record making in a session set up by Davis in San Antonio on October 30-31, 1937, the lowly two-man Home Wreckers had expanded into a six or seven piece string band called The Wampus Cats. The Wampus Cats also included a female vocalist by the name of Kitty Gray, guitarist Joe Harris and mandolinist Kid West. The Wampus Cats made an additional session in Dallas on December 4, 1938, on which Kitty Gray does not appear, but unknown trumpet and saxophone players are therein added to the mix.

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
No idea of the trumpet, I'm afraid.

However on looking it up in G&D I took it one step further and looked up Kitty Gray and was surprised as I never knew she recorded so many tunes - there must be another ten sides with Woods on that I have not hears - are these out anywhere on  CD?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:35:41 PM »
Richard,

You're right.  There are 11 tracks by "Kitty Gray and her Wampus Cats" on Document 5225: Texas Piano Volume 2.  Another one to add to the ever-growing list!   ;D

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »
dj now that's what I call service.... I shall sneak that one on the next Amazon order!! :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal