collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
After years of studying folklore, I've decided that it doesn't exist - John Fahey

Author Topic: I've been treated wrong  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
I've been treated wrong
« on: October 23, 2006, 07:33:27 AM »

Nerve wracking this posting business  :-X  still, one has to be brave in order to move on.

So with apologies to Memphis Minnie and anybody else who is interested, my take 'I've been treated wrong'.

Am I allowed to put down (proper recording jargon there  ;) ) a rhythm track first and then do the other bit over the top as solo lap is sometimes a bit sparse for this!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Dr. G

Re: I've been treated wrong
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:59:29 PM »
Bravo, Richard! Rock-solid beat (of course), cool chords and notes, and vocals that deserve to be turned up!

Great sound-to-noise ratio (recording jargon) on your slide work. Firm, confident attack.

Dr. G

P.S. I'd love to hear your rhythm track to this -- and any other -- numbers you post!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:08:14 AM »

Thanks,  I think I mightl try one with a diy rhythm track or is it cheating  ???

Sound to noise............... who writes your script  :-*

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:00:47 AM »
I'd love to hear your "diy" rhythm track...whatever that is!

Ever since "sound on sound" and "sound with sound" (more archaic recording jargon) were first offered on the new, higher-end "stereo" reel-to-reel "tape recorders" introduced in the mid-60's, musicians have been "cheating" by double tracking. Heck, your compatriot John Mayall even put out an entire "album" entitled "Blues Alone" -- he played all the instruments (including drums) and sang all the parts.

I personally feel that this sort of thing has gotten carried way too far, but it did kind of signal that, henceforward, "Only one's engineer would know for sure...."

My own pet peeve is with "rhythm boxes", and other non-humanoid instrument sections. If YOU'RE playing the drums, or washboard, or belly slaps, or stomping your foot...then I want to hear it -- even if you didn't do it in "real time". (And I think that your liner notes should so specify. Otherwise, I pretty much believe in poetic license.)

"Who writes [my] script"--??? ...And all this time I thought YOU were my straight man!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:03:03 AM »
Dr G, you are a bad influence  :P

I'll try it and see if the "purists" tell me off  :-X It will only be rhythm 12 bar or whatever on my famous squareneck Oahu to give it different sound... should I add drums  hahahahaha

And get yourself a free copy of Audacity.. the ideal diy recording studio if you have a decent soundcard and mic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 07:05:32 AM by Richard »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:16:48 AM »
I hear hints of Oscar Woods, Black Ace and Casey Bill in your slide playing, Richard.  Nice one.

You'll be breaking fences next...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 09:53:54 AM »
PP, thank you.. I'm trying... and this next bit will try everybody  :-X  I may will get shot for this attachment\offering - but, I plead insanity and you must blame naughty Dr G for putting me up to it  >:D I would hate to have been at school with him, total mayhem I suspect hehe!

I have turned my previous serious offering into a band take.. totally the wrong way round by putting the rhythm on after the solo\vocal - but I was interested to see what happened so on this I do it all - the rhythm and drums are played very square as I had to keep pace with my original effort!

Interesting that the odd 13 bar chorus seems to creep in when you count it through as well, oh well nobody's perfect and this ain't! Also the computer has a couple of hicups towards the end and the "quality" has been severly reduced to getit on the forum and I do not want any live gigs :D

Enjoy, life should be fun  :) 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
I'll try it and see if the "purists" tell me off

RT, dunno where you got the impression multi-tracking is a no-no -- we've had a number of very good multi-tracked posts on the BP!  Besides, I think you should get your drum playing in there somehow.

Also, I think the file limit size is 810K, your file was 589K - so make sure you try it at 32kbps too.

There is something very Bob Dylan like in your singing, and I'm not being dergoatory :) -- I agree with CF, you're singin has improved already.

Cheers,

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
Bob Dylan, well I suppose we are of the same era - thanks ;)

I have managed to get 32 kbps with judicious editing! Next time though,I will put the rhythm down first!!!

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 05:47:10 PM »
I am happy to play Fagin to your Oliver, in this little exercise in heresy, Richard! I quite enjoyed your double-tracked effort, and feel that your rhythm track anchors your higher-register, more free-flowing slide work quite nicely.

Still waiting for the drums and a double-tracked vocal harmony!

Your artful co-conspirator,

Dr. G

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 12:55:21 AM »
Ha ha... listening to this again a retrospective rhythm section is certainly is not the way to do it and very hard to keep in the groove, such as it is :D

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal