collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

I could DIE doin' this" - Yank Rachell encouraging Dan Smith on Night Latch Blues

Author Topic: Slackabilly's first gig  (Read 21969 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Slackabilly's first gig
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:34:07 PM »

I thought some might be amused (or even appalled) by a report on Slackabilly's first gig.  This is only peripherally related to country blues, so feel free to ignore!

A little background, and at the risk of telling you more than you want to know.  Earlier this year, a couple of friends and I decided to fool around and 'start a garage band'.  So we got together a couple of times a month and sure enough - had some fun fooling around, experimenting w/ 50's rock n roll, swing, jump, blues etc.  3 months ago we recklessly and foolishly decided to accept a free public gig on Sept 16th - the challenge being to see if we could come up with an hour of material good enough to play in public in 3 months time.  An hour is a long time, and this gave the band focus.  We decided (actually I decided, since I'm doing the lead singing) to focus on two genres: rockabilly and jump blues.  I say recklessly and foolishly as only 2 of the 3 (myself and the bass player, Jeff*) had any rock n roll band experience - and that was in high school, 40 some odd years ago for both of us.  The keyboard player's (Mark*) main musical interest for the past 30 years has been classical, but with strong side interest in stride, boogie and jazz piano - he can play all these styles (I agreed to do the band thing -- for an opportunity to play with Mark. He also plays sax and clarinet).  With the threat of making a fool of oneself in public now firmly in place - we started practicing twice a week. :P

This has been a different and interesting experience (for me anyway)... playing with others, working around various members strengths and weaknesses, dealing with different personalities.  And as it turns out, very rewarding, these are great guys, we are all pretty jazzed about the band and are looking forward to working on new repetoire... after we take a break.  In any case, we did it.... we avoided making fools of ourselves. ;)

*A quick aside about Mark that Country Blues fans can appreciate.  In high school (he's 54) he would go downtown to Good Will and buy 78s.  The stride, boogie and jazz piano from the 20's and 30's blew his mind - he could not imagine how they were playing these pieces (sound familiar?).  He found a company in El Paso that would transfer his 78s to 4 Track tape so he could play them on the 4-track player in his car!  This is the music he played on a fateful first date - the date now happens to be his wife of 30+ years. 

*Jeff has played bass (and guitar) in church bands for some time. He has a son who is a professional muscian, two brother-in-laws and a son-in-law who play in bands. He knows equipment (Mark and I are still trying to figure out what all these little knobs are for on our amps).  The genres we are playing beg for an acoustic upright bass.  Jeff rented one for a couple of months -- but like all bass players, he has other gigs and needed to consolidate on electric bass for the time being -- he does have plans to get an upright at some point.

The gig was an anuual picnic for the "Recovery Alliance" - which is a non-profit organization devoted to helping alcoholics and drug addicts stay clean and sober(there were probably lots of muscians in the audience, haha).  Two downsides to the gig, 1)the audience could not drink and 2)neither could we (so I wore my "Clean and Sober" hat until the gig was over -- whereupon we immediately hit the bar).  It was rumored that there may be 400 people at this event -- I'd guestimate about 125.  It was a good first public gig to do, the audience was very polite and patient with our occasional timing and tempo problems (we are looking for a drummer - Richard, wish you lived a little closer! ;) and we had loads of fun.  Fame and fortune may be delayed due to getting our name wrong on the handbill (attached).  One pic attached, my photographer fell down on the job (no vocal action shot), but it does show we are attracting young groupie chicks.  Set list below.

Rock Billy Boogie - Johnny Burnette Trio
Good Rockin' Tonight - Elvis
T-Bone Shuffle - T-Bone Walker
Choo Choo Chi Boogie - Louis Jordan
Lonesome Tears In My Eyes - Johnny Burnette Trio
Shake, Rattle & Roll - Big Joe Turner
Milk Cow Boogie - Levon Helm and the Cromatix
Little Sister - Elvis
I Got A Rocket In My Pocket - Jimmy Lloyd
Call it Stormy Monday - T-Bone Walker
Baby, Let's Play House - Elvis
Number 9 Train - Tarheel Slim
Twnety Flight Rock - Eddie Cochran

And I'll now have a little time to work on some PT lessons.

Cheers,

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: Slackabilly's first gig
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »
Cool set list- good variety of songs, dig the Tarheel Slim in there with The Johnny Burnette Trio and of course Elvis, but no "Lonesome Train"?
And I have to say you look quite comfortable wearing that Nashville. Are you creating a new genre maybe Blues-a-Billy?
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 09:26:03 PM »
Hi Gary,

Would love to do Lonesome Train(and about 6 more by JB Trio) -- so many songs, so little time!  The Nashville is a nice guitar, maybe too nice - my flatpicking is lousy - but I "travis pick" hell out of it. 

No new genres, lots of blues in rockabilly already!

(And thanks again for the performance t-shirt! ;) )

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:27:08 AM »
Congratulations, Slack!

I agree with NotRev Gary - great set list, and the inclusion of two Johnny Burnette Trio songs marks you as obvious rockabilly connoisseurs.  Can't wait to catch the band on your big Northeastern tour!

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »
I dunno, it starts with electric guitars and the next thing you know you're playing Stonehenge...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:32:07 AM by uncle bud »

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:36:01 AM »
I dunno, it starts with electric guitars and the next thing you know you're playing Stonehenge...

Mini-Stonehenge with his amp turn up to 11.  :)
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 08:44:27 AM »
Thanks guys, I got to admit - it is fun stuff to do.

CP, we like the name too -- even if they don't get it right on the handbill.

DJ and UB, I'll let you know when we get our myspace.com site up with our touring schedule and you can follow us around the country with the rest of the Slackheads.  :P

UB & NotRev, I hate to sound like an out of it ol' foggie, but fill me in on what group played or what is the Stonehenge reference?

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »
The Tap...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:58:59 AM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »
From Wikipedia on Spinal Tap:

A memorable segment of the film occurs when a miniature replica of Stonehenge is lowered onto the stage behind the band and two dwarves come on stage to dance around it. The band members were expecting a full sized 18-foot (5.5 meter) replica, but were instead presented with an 18-inch (46 cm) model, made exactly as indicated on the original plan (a bar napkin with two tick marks after the "18" instead of one). St Hubbins laments during the gig debrief, "I think that the problem may have been... that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed... by a dwarf." It is commonly believed this was a play on Black Sabbath's tour for 1983's Born Again album, which featured massive Stonehenge sets that barely fit on the stages the band played (Sabbath's management had ordered the set measurements in feet, but the manufacturers accidentally built the set using meters). But in reality the reverse may be true, as the Stonehenge sequence appeared in a 1982 20-minute demo of the film. Led Zeppelin also had a Stonehenge stage theme in the final U.S. concerts held in Oakland, California in July 1977.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:09:29 AM »
Haha, thanks UB - no wonder, I never checked out Spinal Tap even though it was recommended.

Rosalyn

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 10:48:47 AM »
Hi Slack,
Courageous.
I would never........not yet anyway.

If your musical abilities are even a fraction of your website building capabilities ...it was probably pretty entertaining!

This website is pretty neat.

roz

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
Double eeek:

I'm shocked and appalled."Rocket in my Pocket" indeed! (I'll have to ask Steph if 'tis so!). This is worse sellout than Bob Dylan going electric.

BTW, I'm sure your singing set back the recovery of your audience years!

Seriously, you need to grow longer sideburns.

Devil's music!

Alex

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
That is really cool, John D.  I'm jealous--an electric band!  Onward and upward!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Temple

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 11:33:27 AM »
This has me grinnin' from ear to ear!  Photos are nice but I know we all really want video.  Slack meets Christopher Guest.

I bet you guys were great and you obviously had fun!

Your Fan,

Temple

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 12:08:26 PM »
I'm shocked and appalled."Rocket in my Pocket" indeed! (I'll have to ask Steph if 'tis so!).

In the queue: Red Hot (My gal is red hot, your gal ain't doodley squat) - Steph let's me sing anything.

BTW, I'm sure your singing set back the recovery of your audience years!

You load enough delay and reverb into the PA -- and anyone can sound fabulous.  ;D  I had to forego singing "Hey Bartender" however.

Thanks Johnm - imagine that!

Temple, a video? maybe in the distant future.  Thanks for being our groupie without even hearing us yet.   (We are keeping our eyes out for groupies who can also haul around heavy equipment.  :P )

And thanks Roz, I worked pretty hard on the site for about a year and a half and I expect it to take Slackabilly about that long to really gel too!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:12:57 PM by Slack »

Tags:

anything