collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Old Yank's wife, when she seen me and John coming, she'd start throwing Yank's clothes outdoors - Hammie Nixon, in The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Slide whistle and washboard  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
Slide whistle and washboard
« on: May 11, 2006, 06:41:51 AM »
Hi All,
I'm foolin' around a fair bit with the washboard and I'd like to find as many washboard tunes as I can. Could anybody who cares to, post their favorite washboard tracks. Same goes for the slide whistle. I love the sound of it on the Blind Blake sides. Does anyone know of any other tunes featuring this obviously under recorded instrument???
Cheers,
Chris

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Slide whistle and washboard
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 06:51:08 AM »
Hi Chris,

Sorry, no wholesale posting of tracks - even if we did have the hard disk space, we don't want to be mistaken for a Point to Point Napster-like music swap house. 

I think your best bet is to buy a Document label of Washboard Sam -- I'm sure they have a Complete Recording.

Thanks,
Slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 07:33:31 AM »
Don't know about slide whistle (and don't want to  :P ), but for washboard, you can search the Juke (Search by 'All') on the word 'washboard' to get some ideas of CDs that might be of interest. Quite a few results. Plus check out Walter Taylor (aka Washboard Walter), the various jug bands, Blind Boy Fuller, Big Joe Williams, Bukka White, lots of early jazz groups were washboard-friendly as well....

Richard did a washboard show on the Juke some time ago. He might pipe up with some suggestions.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 08:25:06 AM »
For a nice slide whistle track, check out the Lovin' Spoonful doing "Henry Thomas" on their album "Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful".  It's a takeoff on and tribute to Henry Thomas.  They use slide whistle and ocarina to substitute for Thomas's quills. 

Brownie McGhee's pre-war recordings featured a lot of washboard.  They're on the Sony two disk set.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 09:09:02 AM »
Hi Chris,
The really great Joe Williams cuts with Chasey Collins on washboard and Dad Tracy on one-string fiddle are "Baby Please Don't Go", "Stack O'Dollars", "Wild Cow Blues" (whew!) and Worried Man Blues".  Booker White has a whole string of titles with Washboard Sam on board, among them, "Fixin' To Die" and "Jitterbug Swing".  The Blind Boy Fuller stuff with Bull City Red is terrific, too.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: washboard 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal