collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

* Support Weenie!

Shop on Amazon using these search boxes and Weenie earns a small commission:
USA
Search Now:
In Association with Amazon

United Kingdom
Search Now:

Canada
Search Now:

* Weenie's CD!

"You think you been livin' but you just been campin' out." - Ben Curry, "Hot Dog"

Author Topic: Making Old Sound Recordings Audible Again  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Making Old Sound Recordings Audible Again
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »
Still hope for Skip James, Rube Lacey whupped 78s? (maybe this has been posted?)

"NPR is running a story on a safe way to reproduce sound from ancient phonographs that would otherwise be unplayable. The system, called IRENE, was installed in the Library of Congress last year. It can be used to replay records that are scratched, worn, broken, or just too fragile to play with a needle. It scans the groves optically and processes them into a sound file at speeds approaching real time. IRENE is great at removing pops and skips, but can add some hiss. Researchers are also working on a 3D model that is better at removing hiss."

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Making Old Sound Recordings Audible Again
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:56:15 PM »
I saw an article about this a while back when it was still in development. Sounds like they're dialing it in. Hopefully they'll get one over to Joe Bussard!

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
https://www.facebook.com/WaxwingJohn

Willie Brown's Liquor at CD Baby

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
I heard that, was on NPR yesterday. Not perfect yet but getting there. Gets rid of skips, adds some hiss, very cool.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:23:04 PM »
Yeah, I think they really need the 3D model, this hiss is pretty annoying. On the Before and after on the Duke Ellington - I liked the original 78 much better!  Cool technology though.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:13:48 AM »
Sounds interesting but I am still a little wary.  People got all excited about CEDAR, but if you have any recordings that have been treated and listen carefully, it seems to have had a detrimental effect on the music.  It compresses the sound and takes the heart out of the music.

If you listen to untreated recordings, your mind seems to filter out the background noise (why did they insist on recording in fish and chip shops? [UK readers will understand]).

The new system could, however, be good for recordings that would otherwise be virtually useless.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:14:58 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:57:33 PM »
Worth reading the article on NPR's website that Slack included in the first post. Very exciting is the fact it can handle broken records, there are many interesting 78s are out there in the world that are cracked, broken or otherwise unplayable.

They say in the report they have a lot of 78s and other obsolete formats (not sure what those could be), millions in fact, in their collection that have not been reissued or otherwise made available yet. This technology would seem to make semi-automation of transcription a real possibility. We could be heading for a bonanza, let's hope so.

Yeah wax, I imagine Bussard and others are totally freaking out, hope they hung on to all the glorious shattered rejects they must have seen.

Re. the shortcomings of remastering s/w, that's downstream from this gear. Plus it's getting better, and is only as good as ears and taste of the person driving it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:11:17 PM by Rivers »

Offline Bricktown Bob

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »
They say in the report they have a lot of 78s and other obsolete formats (not sure what those could be)

Mostly cylinders, I suspect, the standard recording medium till what, about 1917?  LoC also has thousands and thousands of recordings, both cylinder and disc, in what they call an "unknown matrix."  These unknown-matrix recordings are currently useless, while many (most) of the cylinders are unplayable by conventional means (which is destructive, especially with wax cylinders).  A lot of stuff there hasn't been heard in nearly a hundred years, and I can't wait for some of it to become available.  The last castrato, for instance.  From what I have read about the castrato voice, this would most definitely be worth hearing, and I imagine we're unlikely to hear a classically trained castrato any other way.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:08:21 AM »
What intrigued me was the use of the plural 'formats'. What else could there be? Or was that just the reporter being a little loose on his researching of the story?

Tags:

anything